9-Ingredient Vegan Baklava
A plant-based take on a Mediterranean staple, this 9-ingredient vegan baklava is mouth-watering, delicious, and so easy!
- vegan phyllo sheets
- 1 ½ cup pistachios
- 1 ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ cup olive oil or melted vegan butter
Maple Butter Syrup
- 4 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Begin by preparing the vegan baklava filling. Add the nuts to a food processor and pulse until they are chopped into small pieces and completely mixed together. Add them to a mixing bowl and then mix with sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- Prepare your baking dish by brushing it with olive oil or melted vegan butter. Place about 5 sheets of vegan phyllo into the dish (or 1 layer of gluten free puff pastry), trim the edges if needed so that it fits perfectly into the dish. I used a 9x11 rectangular ceramic dish. Brush the top of the dough with more melted vegan butter or olive oil, then distribute a layer of the sugared and spiced nuts on top. Drizzle or brush with more olive oil or more vegan butter, top with more phyllo dough.
- Place about 5 sheets of phyllo into the dish, trim the edges if needed so that it fits perfectly into the dish. I used a 9x11 rectangular ceramic dish. Brush the top of the phyllo with more melted vegan butter or olive oil, Then distribute a layer of nuts on top. Drizzle or brush with more olive oil or more vegan butter, top with more phyllo dough.
- Repeat the step above until the dish is almost full. The final layer should be a few more sheets of phyllo. Brush the top with olive oil or melted vegan butter and then use a knife to carefully cut the baklava into diamonds or squares. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden.
- While the vegan baklava bakes, mix together your melted vegan butter and maple syrup to make the maple butter glaze. Allow the baklava to cool before drizzling with maple butter. You may sprinkle nuts on top and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply