If you're looking to add more plant-based protein to your diet, this Crispy Oven-Baked or Air-Fried Tofu recipe has your name on it! It uses simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand and is made in minutes. Tofu is versatile and this recipe will go well on any vegan lunch or dinner. It's also just a great snack because these little bits of tofu are the best! This is The Easiest Crispy Tofu Recipe and it's so delicious! If you have anyone in your home who claims 'they don't like tofu', have them try a bite of this crisp, golden, and flavorful tofu and I bet you will change their mind!
What is tofu?
Tofu is a vegan protein made from soy milk. Soy milk is processed and pressed into blocks to create a soft, medium, firm, or extra firm texture. Tofu is commonly used around the world as a protein, especially in Asia! It contains all essential amino acids and is low in fat and calories, making it a healthy and nutritious plant-based protein.
Silken tofu is a softer texture which is great for adding protein into smoothies, dips, yogurts, and more. The kind we use in this recipe is extra firm and is commonly used as a meat replacement due to its meaty firm texture. Because tofu (and all soy) can be genetically modified, we recommend purchasing certified organic and non GMO.
The Easiest (and best) Crispy Tofu Ingredients
- Extra Firm Tofu: Be sure to get a package of extra firm tofu so that the tofu get's nice and crisp. Tofu is usually found in the produce section at most major grocery stores!
- Cornstarch : Cornstarch gives tofu a crispy coating and helps to soak up any residual moisture from the packaging. It's also gluten-free!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: We recommend using extra virgin olive oil to coat the tofu before baking or air frying. You may also use avocado oil.
- Seasonings: Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest and this one is no exception! Season the crispy tofu with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. You won't believe how delicious it is!
How to dry tofu with paper towels
Step 1: Remove the tofu from the packaging and place it on top of a few pieces of paper towels.
Step 2: Slice the tofu into ½ inch to ¾ inch thick slices. Then, using folded paper towels, press down on the tofu slices and soak up the excess water.
Seasoning The Tofu
Step 1: In a medium sized mixing bowl, season the tofu with cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss until the tofu is evenly coated. Then, drizzle the tofu with olive oil and toss again until evenly coated.
Baking The Tofu
To bake the tofu, distribute it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet, use a spatula to flip and toss the tofu, and then return it to the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the tofu is golden and crisp.
Air-frying the tofu
To air-fry the tofu, place the seasoned tofu coated with cornstarch and olive oil into the air-fryer basket and air fry on 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove, flip and toss, and return to the air fryer for another 10-15 minutes or until the tofu is crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend storing the crispy tofu in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes! I recommend trying my Crispy Fried Tofu Recipe!
If your tofu isn't getting crispy, first, double check and make sure you purchased extra firm tofu. Extra firm tofu has a heartier consistency and holds less moisture. Also, be sure you took the time to press your tofu of excess water before seasoning and cooking.
The Easiest Crispy Tofu Recipe
- baking sheet (unless air-frying)
- paper towels
- medium mixing bowl
- knife for slicing tofu
The Easiest Crispy Tofu Ingredients
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
How To Make The Best Crispy Tofu
- Begin by either preheating your oven or your air-fryer to 400 degrees. If making crispy baked tofu, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, you will need to press and dry your tofu of excess water. To do this, slice the tofu into ½ to ¾ inch thick slices. Use paper towels to press down on the tofu soak up the excess water. Once the tofu is and pressed dry, cut it into bite-sized cubes and transfer them into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the top of the tofu with cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Carefully and gently toss until all of the tofu is coated with the cornstarch and seasoning. Then, drizzle the top of the tofu with olive oil and carefully toss again.
- If you're making crispy oven-baked tofu, distribute the tofu onto the lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, flipping the tofu halfway. If you're making crispy air-fried tofu, place the tofu into the air fry basket and air fry for 30-35 minutes, flipping the tofu halfway.
Leave a Reply