Looking for something chocolatey, green, and delicious to make this St. Patrick's Day? You must try these Gluten Free St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Cupcakes! Made with no dairy, eggs, or gluten! You'd never guess it because they are so moist, rich, and fudgy! The green cream cheese frosting on top is mouthwatering! Everyone is going to love these and no one will guess they're vegan and gluten free!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- Flax Eggs: Because this recipe is egg free and vegan friendly, we will be using flax eggs to bind our gluten free chocolate cupcakes. Simply mix warm water with flax seed meal and set aside. This also makes our cupcakes super healthy!
- Coconut Milk: No butter or dairy needed here. Coconut milk is the perfect dairy free substitute and makes our St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Cupcakes super moist. Don't worry, you won't even taste the coconut!
- Oat Milk or Almond Milk: If you are not vegan or dairy free, feel free to use regular milk to substitute for the oat or almond milk.
- Sugar: We recommend using organic cane sugar or purecane sugar-free substitute in these St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Cupcakes.
- Vanilla, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda
- Cocoa Powder: The cocoa powder in these gluten free chocolate cupcakes gives us that delicious chocolate flavor!
- Oat Flour: Because our cupcakes are gluten-free, we will be using oat flour in this recipe. Oat flour is naturally gluten-free and it also gives our chocolate cupcakes a rich and moist flavor and texture.
- Chocolate Chips: You can use regular or vegan chocolate chips depending on your dietary needs.
For The Green Frosting
- Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar is a staple in any frosting recipe!
- Vegan Cream Cheese : If you are not vegan or dairy-free, feel free to use regular cream cheese. I like the brand Kite Hill.
- Softened Vegan Butter: If you are not vegan or dairy-free, feel free to use regular butter. For vegan, like the brands Country Crock Plant Butter or Miyokos.
- Green Food Coloring: Ensure your food coloring is vegan, if needed.
- Green Sprinkles: Ensure your sprinkles are vegan, if needed.
St. Patricks Day Chocolate Cupcakes
Step 1: Preheat the oven. Line about 16 muffin wells with paper liners. Option to lightly spray them with non stick spray to keep them from sticking. In a small bowl. prepare the flax eggs, by mixing the flax seed meal and warm water together. Mix and set aside until a gel forms.
Step 2: In a medium mixing bowl, mix the flax eggs, coconut milk, oat milk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar together. Then, add the cocoa powder and mix until the consistency is smooth.
Step 3: Add the flour, mix until smooth. Then, fold in the chocolate chips. Scoop the batter into the 16 muffin wells and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Step 4: While the Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes bake, prepare your green cream cheese frosting by mixing the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, and green frosting together. Set aside until ready to frost.
Step 5: Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting and sprinkling them with green sprinkles. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
In this recipe, we use oat flour instead of regular flour! Oat flour is naturally gluten-free. If you have a gluten intolerance, I recommend ensuring that you purchase certified gluten-free oat flour like Bob's Red Mill.
Yes! Simply take your regular or gluten-free oats and add them to a blender. Blend until a powder forms.
Absolutely not! You can use whatever color you like, or leave the food coloring and sprinkles out completely! Also, these are delicious unfrosted!
Gluten Free St. Patricks Day Chocolate Cupcakes
Gluten Free St. Patricks Day Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 4 tablespoon hot water
- 1 15 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon oat milk
- 1 cup sugar or ½ cup purecane sugar-free substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup oat flour
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
Green Velvet Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar or purecane 1-1 powdered sugar substitute
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon softened vegan butter
- green food coloring
- green sprinkles
Gluten Free St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 16 muffin wells with paper liners. Option to lightly spray them with baking spray so that the cupcakes don't stick.
- In a small bowl, prepare the flax eggs by mixing the flax seed meal with the hot water and setting it aside for 2 minutes until a gel forms.
- In a medium bowl, mix the coconut milk, flax seed mixture, oat milk, sugar or purecane, vanilla, baking powder, and baking soda together. Then, add the cocoa powder and whisk in until smooth. Add the oat flour and mix just until a smooth batter is formed. Be careful not to over-mix or the cupcakes will be dense. Option to fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into about 16 lined cupcake wells and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, mix the powdered sugar or purecane, vegan cream cheese, and softened vegan butter together to make the vegan cream cheese frosting. Mix in 2 or 3 drops of green food coloring, adding more to reach desired green color.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting them and topping them with green sprinkles. Enjoy!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.