Delicious, creamy, protein-packed, and full of wholesome ingredients! These Strawberry Protein Oats are a balanced and nutritious breakfast that will keep you feeling full for hours. This healthy bowl of oats uses fresh berries, chia seeds, nuts, nut butters, and vegan protein powder to keep your blood sugar levels stable. This strawberry oatmeal recipe is vegan and gluten-free friendly, uses no added sugar, and is the perfect way to satisfy your spring and summer breakfast cravings!
Why Protein Oats?
I enjoy protein oats multiple times a week for breakfast. Protein oats are one of my favorite ways to start the day because by adding protein powder to your oatmeal, it makes the oats creamier and more filling. Adding protein and healthy fats like nuts and nut butters to your oatmeal may also balance out your blood sugar levels. Protein oats are versatile and can be flavored in many different ways! Keep scrolling to see two other versions of protein oats on my blog.
Strawberry Oatmeal Ingredients
- Oats: We used Old Fashioned Rolled Oats in this strawberry oatmeal recipe. You can also use steel cut oats or quick oats, but you will want to follow the cooking instructions on the packaging because they will vary from the instructions in this recipe.
- Chia Seeds: Adding chia seeds to your oatmeal is optional, but I find that the healthy fats and added protein makes these strawberry oats more filling and satisfying.
- Protein Powder: We used vegan vanilla flavored protein powder from NUFYX in these protein oats. I like this brand of plant-based pea protein because it is tested for heavy metals, certified organic, contains digestive enzymes, contains no added sugar, uses clean ingredients, and is delicious!
Click Here to get 15% off of NUFYX when you use promo code PBJILLY at checkout.
- Plant-Milk: You may use any unsweetened almond milk or oat milk in this recipe. If you are not dairy-free or vegan, feel free to use regular 2% milk, 1% milk, skim milk, or whole milk in this recipe.
- Strawberries: You may use fresh or frozen strawberries in these strawberry oats.
Strawberry Protein Oatmeal Toppings
The wonderful thing about these strawberry protein oats is that you can make them your own by adding on your favorite oatmeal toppings. We went with ripe banana slices, melted peanut butter, roasted and salted almonds, and strawberries!
- Ripe Banana Slices
- Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
How To Make Strawberry Oatmeal
Step 1: Follow the instructions in the recipe card below to cook your strawberries until tender. Remove the berries from the stove and mash them.
Step 2: Add the chia seeds, oats, plant-based milk, and water to the pot and return to the heat. Cook, stirring, until the oats are creamy and have fully absorbed the liquid.
Step 3: Once the oats are creamy, remove from the heat and add the vegan protein powder. Stir until the protein powder has completely mixed into the strawberry oats.
Step 4: Serve the strawberry oats warm along with your favorite oatmeal toppings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thankfully, oats are naturally gluten-free. However, some brands of oats are manufactured in facilities with gluten containing products. So, the best way to ensure that your oats are completely gluten-free is to purchase certified gluten-free oats. I like the brand Bob's Red Mill.
Luckily, this strawberry oatmeal is healthy even without added protein. It's still a great source of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs. You can leave the protein powder out completely. Also, if you have plain protein powder, you can use this instead. To give the oats a bit more flavor - feel free to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to sweeten.
Strawberry Protein Oats
- 1 medium saucepan or pot
- vegetable masher
- spoon for stirring
Strawberry Protein Oats
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds optional
- ½ cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 1 ½ cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoon vanilla flavored vegan protein powder
Protein Oat Toppings
- ½ ripe banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon melted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon almonds
- ¼ cup sliced fresh strawberries
How To Make Strawberry Protein Oats
- Begin by bringing a medium saucepan with ½ cup of water and 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries to medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the berries are soft and tender and begin to bubble. Once the berries are bubbling, remove the pot from the heat and allow the berries to cool for a few minutes.
- Use a masher to mash the berries in the pot. Once the berries are mashed, add the oats, remaining water, almond milk, and chia seeds. Return the pot to the stove, and cook on medium heat - stirring, until the oats are creamy and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the oats from the heat and stir in the vanilla flavored protein powder. Serve the protein oats topped with nuts, peanut butter or almond butter, banana slices, and freshly sliced strawberries. Enjoy warm!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.