These Warm Vanilla Protein Oats are quickly going to become a regular breakfast in your home. Traditional oats are full of fiber and healthy carbs, but when we add plant-based vanilla protein powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, berries, and nut butter - this wholesome vegan breakfast becomes a nutritious and delicious meal that everyone will love.
Why Protein Oats?
Adding protein to oatmeal can help balance your blood sugar and keep you feeling fuller longer. When combined with healthy fats and fiber from the nut butters, seeds, and berries - a regular bowl of oats becomes a full and filling meal. And the best part, no added artificial sugars or sweeteners are needed!
Vegan Protein Oats Ingredients
- Oats: I recommend using regular or gluten-free certified old fashioned rolled oats in this recipe. You can also use quick cooking oats.
- Water: Used to boil the oats and make them soft and tender.
- Milk: To keep this recipe vegan, I recommend using unsweetened oat milk or almond milk. Any plant-based milk will work in this protein oatmeal recipe. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, you can use regular milk.
- Protein Powder: I used this organic vegan vanilla flavored protein powder in this oatmeal bowl. NUFYX is certified organic, vegan, gluten-free, keto friendly, and tested for heavy metals. Use my code PBJILLY for 15% off. If you are not vegan, you can use any other vanilla protein such as whey protein.
- Cinnamon: Adding cinnamon to the oats gives them a warm naturally sweet and spiced flavor. You can also skip this ingredient.
Vegan Protein Oatmeal Toppings
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are a wonderful topping for your oatmeal bowl because they support digestion and include healthy fats + protein.
- Flax Seeds: Flax seeds are another great oatmeal topping. Remember to choose ground flax seeds or flax seed meal so that your body can more easily absorb the nutrients.
- Bananas and Berries: Ripe bananas and berries are flavorful way to add more volume, color, fiber, nutrition, and natural sweetness to your oats.
- Peanut Butter: Top your warm vanilla protein oats with melted peanut butter. Trust me, it's delicious! Feel free to use any other nut butter instead - such as: almond butter, cashew butter, sun butter, or granola butter.
How To Make Vegan Protein Oats
Step 1: Heat the oats, water, and milk on the stovetop (preferred) or in the microwave.
Step 2: Once the oats are cooked and creamy, mix in the protein powder and cinnamon if using.
Step 3: Serve the oats topped with chia seeds, flax seeds, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and banana slices. Warm your peanut butter in the microwave and then drizzle it over the protein oats. Enjoy warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Oats are naturally gluten-free but some oats may have cross contamination with gluten containing products during the manufacturing process. Here is my favorite brand of certified gluten-free and organic oats from Bob's Red Mill.
If you vegan protein powder is unflavored, I recommend mixing in 1 teaspoon of vanilla to give your oats the vanilla flavor.
Yes! If you would like sweeter oats, I recommend mixing in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or honey if you're not vegan) to the oats to give them a sweeter flavor.
Vanilla Protein Oatmeal
- small or medium saucepan
- bowl for serving
Vanilla Protein Oats
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats select gluten-free if needed
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup plain unsweetened almond milk or oat milk
- 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder see notes for brand recommendations
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon optional
Vegan Protein Oats Toppings
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- ½ sliced ripe banana
- ½ cup mixed berries
- 1-2 tablespoon melted peanut butter
Stovetop Protein Oats
- Bring a saucepan with the oats, water, and plant milk to medium heat. Stirring occasionally, cook until the oats are bubbling and begin to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla protein powder and cinnamon (if using). Mix until creamy and then transfer the oats into your bowl for serving.
Microwave Protein Oats
- Add the oats, water, and plant milk into a microwave safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for 1 minute. Carefully remove and stir. Return and cook for another 1 minute. Carefully remove and stir. If the oats are still watery, cook in 30 second intervals until the oats have absorbed the water and are creamy.
- Once the oats are creamy, stir in the vanilla protein powder and cinnamon (if using).
Vanilla Vegan Protein Oats Toppings
- Add the chia seeds, ground flax seeds, banana slices, and berries on top of the oats. Melt the peanut butter in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds and then drizzle it over the oats. Serve warm.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.