This creamy Vegan Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup is delicious and full of flavor! It's so simple to make and super healthy. This is a vegan soup recipe that is perfect to warm you up in fall when squash is in season.
This vegan butternut squash soup recipe is perfect for fall and winter time. It is healthy, delicious and so easy to make. Most of the work here is done by the stove, so after the prep just let the soup cook and develop flavor! Top it off with some seeds and chopped chives for a little extra texture, and enjoy!
My vegan sweet potato and butternut squash soup recipe uses whole, healthy ingredients for a nourishing and satisfying soup! Here's what you'll need:
- Sweet Potatoes: You will need fresh, peeled and diced sweet potatoes for this recipe.
- Butternut Squash: In the fall, fresh butternut squash is super easy to come by!
- Onion & Leeks: Onion and leeks add a depth of flavor when sautéed in some olive oil. Don't worry about chopping these perfectly since we will be blending everything together at the end!
- Ginger & Garlic: Freshly minced garlic and ginger are added as our aromatics in this soup recipe. I recommend definitely using fresh garlic, but if you don't have fresh ginger you can add a bit of ground ginger for the flavor.
- Cumin: Cumin adds a nice flavor and hint of spice here.
- Vegetable Broth: I used vegetable broth for a vegan soup recipe, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. If you use water, you will want to add some extra salt to the soup.
- Canned Coconut Milk: Canned coconut milk is creamy and has some fat content in it to round out the flavors of this soup as well as make it creamy and dreamy!
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup
Vegan butternut squash soup is super easy to make at home! Here are the simple steps:
Step 1: In a large pot, heat the olive oil and then add onions, garlic and ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Stir in leeks, sweet potatoes, squash and spices. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Step 3: Then, pour in the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot with a lid, and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the veggies are fork tender.
Step 4: Remove from heat, pour in entire contents of canned coconut milk and use a handheld immersion blender to blend the soup together. While still hot, season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut vegetables into similar sizes: When dicing your sweet potato and butternut squash, try to dice everything in similar sizes so that they all cook in the same amount of time! Check out how to dice a butternut squash if this is your first time using fresh butternut squash.
- Pair it with some bread or biscuits: Try pairing this soup with my Easy No Knead Focaccia Bread or my Easy Vegan Drop Biscuits!
- Add more veg! You can add even more veggies to this soup like carrots and celery!
- Make it spicy! Add some cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper for a bit of spice. Keep in mind a little bit goes a long way!
Frequently Asked Questions
First, cut off ½ inch off of each end of the squash. Then, peel with a vegetable peeler. After peeling, cut the butternut squash in half. One half is the neck and other half is the bulb. Then, cut each half in half again and scoop out the seeds. Finally, dice it up into small pieces!
Without an immersion blender, let the soup cool down before blending it. It doesn't have to be room temperature, but let it cool down a bit so it is not steaming. Then, place the contents of the soup into a regular blender. Cover the lid with a towel and place your hand on top. Then, blend until smooth. If the soup is piping hot when you place it in the blender, the pressure from the steam might make the lid pop off and could leave a huge mess and possible burns, so be careful!
How to Store Leftovers
- In the fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop!
- In the freezer: Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before heating on the stove. If using a ziplock bag, let the soup cool down completely and then put it in the ziplock bag to freeze.
More Soup Recipes
- Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
- Vegetable White Bean & Rice Soup
- Chipotle Carrot, Red Pepper & Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Vegan Pumpkin Chili
Vegan Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 cup peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 3 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cup leeks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 5 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and then add onions and garlic and ginger. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in leeks, sweet potato, squash, and spices. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Then, pour in the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pot with a lid, and cook for about 45 minutes (until veggies are soft).
- Remove from heat, pour in entire contents of the can of coconut milk and use a handheld immersion blender to blend the soup together.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.
Can I use all squash instead of sweet potatoes?? I have a ton of squash & no sweet potatoes. Thanks
Hi Teri, I think that should work out well!