Warm salads are trending all over the internet these days. They're filling, fresh, and flavorful! This warm Lemon Tahini Kale Salad is simple to make, uses a handful of healthy ingredients that you probably already have, and the result is a nourishing bowl of vegan and gluten-free friendly goodness that everyone in your home will love!
Lemon Tahini Kale Salad Ingredients
- Grains: The key to making this lemon tahini salad warm and filling is mixing our lettuce with grains. I chose cooked basmati rice, but you can use jasmine rice, wild rice, brown rice, or even quinoa!
- Kale: Finely chopping your kale is what helps the greens mix seamlessly with the grains when tossing this tahini salad. If you don't like kale, you can also use romaine , spring mix, or any of your other favorite greens.
- Cabbage: Shredded purple cabbage adds a great crunch and texture to this lemon tahini salad.
- Protein: To keep this recipe plant-based, we crisp chickpeas in the oven until they are golden and brown to add protein and texture to our lemon tahini kale salad. Roast the chickpeas on a baking sheet drizzled with extra virgin olive oil for a perfect crispy chickpea texture. If you are not vegan or plant-based, you can use any protein such as grilled chicken.
- Tahini: Tahini is used as the base of our lemon tahini dressing to drizzle over the kale salad. It's made from sesame seeds giving it a creamy and nutty flavor.
- Yogurt: To keep this kale salad plant-based, use plain and unsweetened non-dairy yogurt in this recipe. If you are not vegan, you can use regular plain unsweetened yogurt.
- Lemon: Bottled or freshly squeezed lemon juice will work.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic cloves or garlic powder will work to flavor the tahini dressing. I do not recommend using the canned minced garlic.
Warm Lemon Tahini Kale Salad Instructions
Step 1: To prepare the crispy chickpeas, preheat the oven. Disperse the chickpeas onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle them with olive oil or avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until crispy.
Step 2: While the chickpeas roast, prepare your rice or quinoa as instructed on the packaging. Add the shredded or chopped kale and cabbage to a bowl. Prepare the lemon juice.
Step 3: Prepare the lemon tahini yogurt dressing by mixing the tahini, non-dairy yogurt, and lemon juice. The tahini will get very thick, this is ok. Add the water and garlic, then mix until a creamy dressing forms.
Step 4: Once the chickpeas are crispy and golden, and the rice is cooked, toss everything together with the greens, cabbage, and as much dressing as you desire. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon. Enjoy warm.
Warm Lemon Tahini Kale Salad
Kale and Rice Salad
- 2 cups cooked white, brown, or wild rice
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups chopped purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
Lemon Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- 4 tablespoon creamy tahini
- 2 tablespoon plain unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove of freshly minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Disperse the chickpeas onto the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and use your hands to evenly coat the chickpeas in the oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the chickpeas are crispy and golden.
- While the chickpeas roast, prepare your rice as instructed on the packaging.
Lemon Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- While you wait on the chickpeas and rice, make the dressing. Use a whisk to mix the tahini, yogurt, and lemon juice. It will begin to become too thick to stir. Add the water and garlic powder and continue to whisk until the dressing is silky and creamy. Set aside.
- Once the chickpeas and rice are done, remove from the heat and get ready to plate your salads. Serve each salad with 1 cup of kale, ½ cup cabbage, ½ cup cooked rice, and ¼th of the crispy chickpeas. Drizzle with ¼ of the lemon tahini dressing, toss, and serve warm or cool.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.