Vegan hot chocolate in 5 minutes = the perfect cozy dessert!
Skip the store-bought hot cocoa and make this vegan hot cocoa in the comfort of your own home. If you're looking for a quick and easy cold-weather dessert to enjoy by a warm fire, this recipe is a must-try! This easy vegan hot chocolate recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free friendly, and super delicious.
Vegan Hot Cocoa Ingredients Needed
In order to make this vegan hot cocoa, you need everyday ingredients like:
- Milk: To make vegan hot chocolate, I like to use oat milk because it has a creamy, mild and sweet flavor and is most similar to regular milk. If you're not concerned with keeping this vegan, any milk will work. But, oat milk is seriously delicious, even if you aren't vegan!
- Sugar: To increase add a little sweetness to this oat milk hot cocoa, add coconut or cane sugar. You can adjust the amount of sugar to taste!
- Cocoa Powder: Try to buy the highest quality cocoa powder you can find. But, if you're in a pinch, any cocoa will do in this easy hot chocolate recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: Add a subtle hint of vanilla which balances out the delicious chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: Any chocolate chips will do, but I prefer the vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips from Enjoy Life!
- Marshmallows: Technically they're not required for the recipe ... but is a hot chocolate really a hot chocolate if it doesn't have marshmallows on top? I love using Dandie's Vegan Marshmallows, but any will do!
How to Make Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Warm The Milk: Warm the oat milk in a medium saucepan.
- Add Sugar, Cocoa, Vanilla, and Chocolate: Whisk until smooth
- Bring to a Boil: Whisking often, bring the hot cocoa to a boil and the remove from the heat.
- Serve: Carefully, serve about 4 cups of vegan hot chocolate, topped with marshmallows.
Other Cozy Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Oat Milk is by far the best plant-based alternative to milk in vegan hot chocolate. It's creamy, has a mild and sweet flavor, and compliments the cocoa flavor. Almond milk is another great alternative.
Unfortunately, no. Nestle hot cocoa contains milk. Use this recipe for a dairy-free and vegan hot chocolate!
Most store-bought hot chocolates have milk or dairy in them. This vegan hot chocolate recipe uses oat milk and vegan marshmallows, making it a dairy-free hot cocoa that everyone will love!
5-Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate
Easy Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups oat milk
- ¼ cup organic cane or coconut sugar add 1-2 tablespoon more for sweeter cocoa
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup regular or vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- regular or vegan marshmallows for topping
Easy Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- Bring a medium saucepan to medium heat. Add the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and vanilla. Whisk until the texture is smooth and then continue to cook, whisking often, until the cocoa comes to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and serve warm, topped with vegan marshmallows.
Leave a Reply