This the best Vegan Chocolate Cake because it is so moist, chocolatey, and insanely delicious! No eggs or dairy needed! It's the perfect chocolate cake recipe to use for any special occasion. It's vegan and gluten-free friendly but no one would ever guess! This is a crowd pleasing vegan dessert that everyone will love. You can enjoy this cake on its own or top it off with a dreamy vegan vanilla frosting!
If you are crazy about chocolate, then this Vegan Chocolate Cake is perfect for you. It is a chocolate lover's dream! I love to make this chocolate cake for birthdays, holidays, or even just because I need a little something sweet!
Vegan Chocolate Cake Ingredients Needed
My easy, one-bowl vegan chocolate cake uses pantry staples to create a decadent dessert! Here's what you'll need:
- Vegan Milk & Butter: I like to use almond or oat milk as my plant-based milk here. The combination of vegan milk and butter add moisture and flavor to the cake. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular milk and butter will work.
- Sugar: Regular cane sugar is best for this moist vegan chocolate cake.
- Vanilla: A bit of vanilla adds a lot of flavor!
- Cocoa Powder: Try to use high quality cocoa powder for that rich, dark chocolatey taste.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: Both baking soda and baking powder help the cake to rise in the oven!
- Flour: I used all purpose flour here. You can use gluten-free flour like King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour to make this a gluten-free chocolate cake!
- Vegan Frosting: Top it all off with an easy vegan frosting made from powdered sugar, vegan butter, almond milk and vanilla!
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Cake
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In one bowl, use a fork to mix the melted vegan butter, sugar, vanilla, almond or oat milk, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder.
Step 2: Once your mixture is smooth, mix in the flour until just combined. Be careful not to over work your batter or the cake can become dense.
Step 3: Bake your cake in a loaf pan for 30-40 minutes or 25-30 minutes in a round cake pan. Be careful not to over bake as this cake will become dry. When you remove it from the oven, it might seem soft in the center but once you allow it to cool it will be done in the middle and super moist. While baking, use a whisk or hand mixer to mix your frosting ingredients.
Step 4: Once the cake is done baking, allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes and then spread the frosting over it. Enjoy!
- Prefer Chocolate Frosting? Add some cocoa powder to the frosting for a chocolatey flavor!
- Don't Over Mix The Cake Batter! Once the flour is added to the batter, make sure you don't over mix. The flour will start to develop gluten once added to wet ingredients and can get tough and dense if over worked.
- To Ensure the Chocolate Cake Doesn't Stick to The Pan: Grease the pan with non-stick spray or line the whole cake pan with parchment paper to make sure it is super easy to get out of the pan!
Frequently Asked Questions
Definitely! You can even double the recipe and freeze one of the cakes to have for later. Once the cake is baked and cooled, wrap it well in plastic wrap and put it in an airtight container or freezer bag. This cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight and top it off with frosting before serving!
Store this cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week!
More Vegan Cake Recipes to Try
- Vegan Cinnamon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Super Moist Strawberry Cake
- Vegan Cookies & Cream Cake
- Giant Cinnamon Roll Cake
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 ¼ cup almond or oat milk
- ¾ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cup all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
Vegan Frosting Recipe
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon softened vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Super Easy & Moist Vegan Chocolate Loaf Cake
- Preheat oven to 375. In one bowl, use a fork to mix the melted vegan butter, sugar, vanilla, almond or oat milk, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Once the mixture is smooth, mix in the flour until just combined. Be careful not to over work your batter or the cake will become dense.
- Bake your loaf for 30-40 minutes (oven times vary) or 25-30 minutes for a round cake pan. Be careful not to over bake this loaf or it will become dry. When you remove it from the oven, it might seem soft in the very center but once you allow it to cool it will be done in the middle and super moist. While baking, use a whisk or hand mixer to mix your frosting ingredients!
- Once the loaf is done, allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes and then spread the frosting over it. Enjoy!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.