Vegan Blueberry Sweet Rolls
These vegan blueberry sweet rolls are out of this world good! They are buttery, sweet, fluffy, and covered in vegan cream cheese icing! The filling is oozing with bubbling blueberries. Be prepared to amaze everyone (even the non-vegans) with this ridiculously good vegan sweet roll recipe!
Classic Cinnamon Roll Dough (with yeast) - 2 Hours
- 1 cup warm (not hot) almond or oat milk
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups regular all purpose flour or 2 cups all purpose gluten free
- 2 tablespoon non dairy yogurt
Quick Dough (no yeast) - 30 Minutes
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- ½ cup Melted vegan butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cup regular or gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon non dairy yogurt
Vegan Blueberry Sweet Rolls Filling
- ¼ cup softened vegan butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Vegan Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 tablespoon softened vegan butter
- 2 oz vegan cream cheese
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Vegan Blueberry Sweet Rolls (with yeast) - 2 Hours
- Prepare the dough by mixing the warm almond milk, melted vegan butter, and maple syrup. Sprinkle the active dry yeast evenly across the top of the mixture, stir gently, and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix until a dough forms. If using gluten free flour, scoop in 2 tablespoon of non dairy yogurt into the bowl and then use your hands to work it in and form the dough into a mound. This creates more elasticity and the gluten free dough will hold together better when rolling. You don't need to do this step if using regular flour.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. Allow it to sit for an hour. I like to sit my bowl on top of an oven preheated to 350. The warmth from the oven helps the dough rise faster. Note, if using gluten free all purpose flour, the dough will not rise as much.
- After the dough has risen for an hour, on a floured surface, roll the dough into a ¼ inch oval or rectangle (add more flour if the dough is too sticky to roll). Spread the softened butter to cover the dough. Top with the sugar and blueberries.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut it into about 10-12 pinwheels. Place the pinwheels into a baking dish so that they are close but not touching. Cover them with a towel or loose plastic wrap and set aside for another 30 minutes. Note, if your rolls are gluten free, they won't be as voluminous as rolls with gluten in them, but they'll be every bit as delicious!
- Once the rolls have risen, remove plastic wrap and bake the rolls in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, make the vegan cream cheese frosting by using an electric hand mixer to mix together the softened vegan butter, powdered sugar, and vegan cream cheese. Allow the rolls to cool and spread the icing over the rolls. Enjoy!
Vegan Blueberry Sweet Rolls (no yeast) - 30 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Mix the almond milk, melted vegan butter, and baking powder together. Then, mix in the flour until a thick dough forms. If using gluten free flour, add 2 tablespoon of non dairy yogurt to the dough and use your hands to work it in and form the dough into a mound. This will create more elasticity and help the dough hold together better when rolling.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and sprinkle the top with more flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a ¼ inch thick slab. Spread with softened vegan butter, sprinkle with sugar, and top with blueberries. Use one cup in the rolls and sprinkle the remaining blueberries over the pinwheels before baking.
- Carefully roll the dough into a log. Slice the log into 10-12 pinwheels and place them into a greased round dish. Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes. Option to broil for 1-2 minutes at the end to give them more color.
- While the rolls are baking, you may use an electric hand mixer to mix the vegan cream cheese, softened butter, and powdered sugar to make the icing. Allow the rolls to cool before frosting. Enjoy!
Serving: 1gCalories: 263kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 3gFat: 11g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!