Here are five reasons to go on more walks:
1. Exercise and Movement - going on a walk each day, even if it’s just for 5 or 10 minutes is a small achievable goal that can result in big changes to your mental and physical health. For me, starting with small goals that I know I can commit to help me feel more accomplished and help me build confidence to aim for my bigger goals.
2. Connecting with nature can ground you, ignite your soul. For me, it is such a peaceful way to start or end the day. Clearing your mind and grounding you can set you up for success or help you wind down. Again, even if just for 5 minutes.
3. Exposing your body to natural light (even in overcast) in the morning can help you align with your circadian rhythms and sets your body’s clock to release melatonin at night.
4. Giving yourself a quick walk break during your workday can help you breathe deeply, clear your head, and help you feel refreshed/less stressed. Whenever I feel overwhelmed with my day - I take a moment to pause, go for a walk, and I always come back feeling calmer.
5. Walking is such a healthy way to spend real dedicated quality time with the people you love or with yourself. Some of my favorite memories with my friends and family are going on long walks and talking … listening … and being present. I’ve also had some of my greatest medications during this time.