Ever get that craving for something sweet, moist, and oh-so-delicious? Look no further. Dive into our Blueberry Banana Bread that's not only vegan but can totally swing gluten-free if that's your jam. Made with the natural sweetness of maple syrup and the nutty richness of almond flour, this bread is all about healthier choices without compromising on flavor. Imagine a tender loaf with every bite bursting with juicy blueberries and creamy banana notes. Whether you're grabbing a slice for breakfast, snacking, or treating yourself after dinner, it's sure to hit that sweet spot. And the best part? It's ridiculously easy to whip up.
Equipment You'll Need
- 9x5 inch loaf pan: Perfect size for a dense, moist loaf.
- Large Mixing Bowl: For combining those fresh ingredients.
- Essential Baking Tools: Fork, whisk, measuring cups & spoons.
- Electric Hand-Mixer (optional): For the frosting.
Blueberry Banana Bread Ingredients
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed: Your ticket to moist blueberry banana bread!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk: For that vegan touch.
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter: Adds richness.
- ¾ cup maple syrup: Natural sweetness at its best.
- Baking Buddies: 1 teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla extract.
- 1 ½ cup regular or gluten-free all-purpose flour: Choose your base.
- 1 cup almond flour (or just add an extra ½ cup of regular/gluten-free flour): For gluten-free, we recommend using King Arthur Measure for Measure.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries: Freshness is key, but frozen works too!
Optional Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 oz vegan cream cheese: For that creamy texture.
- 2 tablespoon melted vegan butter: Smoothness galore!
- ¾ cup powdered sugar: For the right touch of sweetness.
Just a heads-up, if you're not vegan or dairy-free, feel free to swap out the vegan butter, milk, and cream cheese for the regular kind you've got on hand. This recipe is all about flexibility and suiting your preferences.
How To Make Blueberry Banana Bread
Set The Stage: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Prepare the loaf pan with a generous coat of non-stick spray or use parchment paper for an easy release.
Mash & Mix: Using your large bowl, get those bananas mashed up. Stream in the milk, maple syrup, butter, and our trio of baking buddies (baking powder, soda, and vanilla). Give it a good stir. Then, sprinkle in your chosen flours. Once that batter looks smooth, fold in those vibrant blueberries.
Bake & Wait: Pour that delicious mix into the loaf pan. Let it bake for about 50 minutes. You're looking for a risen, golden top. Do the toothpick test - if it comes out clean, it’s done!
Frost & Feast: Cool your loaf. While you wait, whip up the vegan cream cheese frosting. Blend the cream cheese, butter, and sugar with your hand mixer until it's silky smooth. Drizzle or spread across your loaf. Slice and savor!
Pro Tip: If you're skipping the frosting, enjoy a warm slice with some vegan butter. Heavenly!
How To Freeze Blueberry Banana Bread
So, you've baked that luscious Blueberry Banana Bread and, surprisingly, you have leftovers! Or maybe you're just super prepared and made a double batch. Either way, freezing is a brilliant option to ensure none of that yummy goodness goes to waste. Here's how to do it in a jiffy:
- Cool It Down: Before you even think about freezing, ensure your bread is completely cooled to room temperature. This helps prevent unwanted condensation and frost inside your freezer bag or wrap, which could make your bread soggy when you defrost it.
- Slice or Not?: You can freeze the bread as a whole or slice it up. Pre-sliced means you can grab a piece whenever the craving hits, without the need to defrost the entire loaf.
- Wrap It Up: If you're going for slices, wrap each slice individually in cling wrap or aluminum foil. For a whole loaf, wrap it tightly ensuring there are no exposed parts.
- Bag It: Place your wrapped bread or slices into a resealable freezer bag. Push out as much air as possible before sealing.
- Label & Date: Using a marker, jot down "Blueberry Banana Bread" and the date on the bag. It's easy to lose track of time, and this will help you remember when you stashed it away.
- Freeze Away: Pop it in the freezer. The bread will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
When you're ready to enjoy, simply thaw the loaf or slices at room temperature or give a quick warm-up in the oven or toaster. Dive back into that moist, fruity delight anytime!
Other Banana Bread Recipes You'll Love
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 9x5 inch loaf pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Electric Hand-Mixer optional
Blueberry Banana Bread Ingredients
- 2 overripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup plain and unsweetened almond or oat milk
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cup regular or gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour or an additional ½ cup or regular or gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (in season) if not in season, ok to use frozen blueberries
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 oz vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Blueberry Banana Bread Instructions
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375. Grease your bread loaf pan with non-stick baking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash your ripe bananas with a fork. Add the milk, maple syrup, butter, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix with the fork or a whisk. Add the regular flour and the almond flour. Mix until a thick batter is formed. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the blueberry banana bread batter into your greased pan and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the loaf has completely risen and is golden brown on the top. Check the center with a toothpick for doneness.
- Remove the loaf from the pan. While it cools, option to whip up with vegan cream cheese frosting by mixing the vegan cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar together with a hand mixer. Drizzle the icing on top of the loaf and serve .
- If you're not topping your blueberry banana bread with frosting, we recommend enjoying your warm slice with a pat of vegan butter.