This Gluten Free Banana Bread is delicious, low calorie, moist, and fluffy! The easy recipe is mixed in one bowl using simple ingredients and can be ready in under an hour. You'll love this incredible brunch treat or snack.
- Bananas: You’ll need three over ripe bananas to give this vegan banana bread amazing flavor and natural sweetness.
- Milk: To keep this recipe vegan, use any dairy free milk for additional moisture. We love using almond milk or oat milk in this recipe. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular milk will work.
- Maple syrup: Naturally sweetens the banana bread and gives it a lovely warm flavor.
- Butter: Adds incredible moisture and richness. Use plant-based butter to keep this moist gluten-free banana bread recipe dairy free and vegan.
- Flavor Makers: A combination of pure vanilla extract and cinnamon give this quick bread a wonderful warm, cozy flavor.
- Baking Essentials: Baking soda and baking powder gives the loaf the perfect rise and texture. No eggs needed!
- Oats: Use quick oats for best results. The quick oats make the gluten-free banana bread texture soft and fluffy. If you don't have quick oats, you can pulse old fashioned oats in a food processor for a second or two to break them down.
- Flour: You can use all-purpose flour, but to make this gluten free banana bread, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
How to Make Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Making this gluten-free banana bread recipe is super easy! It’s a simple mix of wet ingredients in one bowl, then stir in the dry ingredients and pour into a loaf pan. Here’s the simple method:
Step 1: Mash bananas with a fork.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, butter, maple syrup, almond or oat milk, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Step 3: Then, gently stir in the oats and the flour until smooth. Don't over mix!
Step 4: Pour the batter into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes until golden brown on top. Check it with a toothpick inserted in the center to make sure it's done!
- Use Overripe Bananas: For the best flavor, use bananas that have lots of brown spots and are very soft.
- Follow the Recipe: For best results, I highly recommend following the recipe instructions and using the exact ingredients I’ve listed.
- Don’t Over Mix Ingredients: It’s very important to avoid over-mixing the batter, which can result in tough baked goods.
- Use Fresh Baking Soda & Baking Powder: If your baking soda and/or baking powder is older than 6 months, I suggest replacing it for best baking results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mashing with a fork always works! However, to get the bananas mashed really well (so you don’t end up with big chunks in your bread), try mashing them with a blender or an electric (hand or stand) mixer. Not only do they get completely mashed up, it’s quick and easy.
This gluten free banana bread recipe is plenty moist because of the 3 bananas, milk and butter. To keep leftovers moist, be sure to wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
Yes, you can use frozen bananas! Thaw them completely, then drain all of the liquid.
Ovens can vary so be sure to check the bread after about 30 to 35 minutes. The bread is done baking when a skewer, butter knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs. If you notice the top getting too brown, you can lightly cover the bread with foil.
To freeze, wrap the banana bread in plastic, then tightly in foil and finally place in a freezer friendly bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature once you are ready to eat. You can freeze individual slices for perfectly portioned treat.
More Gluten Free Bread Recipes
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten-Free Flatbread
- Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Maple Butter Banana Bread
Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- 3 medium mashed overripe bananas
- 1 cup almond or oat milk
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup quick oats or blended old fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix together the mashed bananas, butter, maple syrup, almond or oat milk, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Then, mix in the oats and the flour until smooth. Don't over mix!
- Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes until golden brown on top. Check it with a tooth pick to make sure it's done!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.