This easy hummus recipe will have you convinced you’re eating your favorite store-bought brand! Ready in just 15 minutes and flavored with lemon, garlic, and creamy tahini. Enjoy this healthy snack with your favorite veggies, pita bread or crackers!
Made with a creamy blend of chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil, then topped with crispy chickpeas, this easy hummus recipe is just as good (if not better) than your favorite store-bought brand! Serve with veggies and pita for a healthy snack or appetizer, or add a bit of your hummus to your favorite dinner recipes for an extra flare.
Easy Hummus Ingredients
This hummus recipe is made with simple ingredients, yet they all come together to create a delicious dip. Here's everything you'll need:
- Chickpeas: You'll need one can for the hummus and one can for the topping. Make sure they are rinsed and drained.
- Tahini: This smooth sesame seed paste adds creaminess and flavor.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil lends its fruity pungent flavor to the hummus, along with velvety smoothness.
- Lemon juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for brightness.
- Garlic cloves: Add a clove of garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder to the hummus for savory flavor.
- Ground cumin: A nutty, spicy taste with somewhat bitter undertones and a warm, penetrating aroma with hints of lemon.
- Salt & pepper: To bring all of the flavors together.
- Water: For the perfect consistency.
How to Make Easy Chickpea Hummus
To make the hummus, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas to a food processor. Top with tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper (to taste). Blend until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water until you reach desired consistency.
To make the crispy chickpeas, bring a medium sized skillet with olive oil to medium heat. Once the oil is warm, add the chickpeas and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper (to taste). Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-10 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy and golden on the outside.
Serve the hummus topped with the chickpeas and alongside pita bread, freshly-cut veggies, and/or crackers.
- For the flavors to shine the way they’re intended, hummus is best at room temperature. It’s creamier and tastier!
- If serving as a dip, spoon it into a shallow dish or on a plate and use the back of a spoon to make swirls over the top. Drizzle on olive oil, which will pool in those swirls, add the crispy chickpeas, and then sprinkle on some finely chopped parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can simply omit the tahini, if you'd like. Good substitutes are sunflower seed butter or a nut butter, such as cashew or almond butter. Another alternative is Greek yogurt. The flavor of your hummus will be affected, but it will still be very tasty.
Chickpeas are the base of this hummus recipe and the main ingredient. They're filled with plant-based protein, complex carbs, and fiber.
Not only is homemade hummus incredibly tasty, it's much more inexpensive to make it at home.
Hummus is a great make-ahead dip. It keeps well in the fridge for up to five days. You can even freeze hummus! It will keep for up to six months in the freezer. It may separate slightly when thawed but just give it a stir and it will be fine.
More Healthy Vegan Snacks
Easy Hummus Recipe
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon water plus more to reach desired consistency
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- pita, veggies, or crackers
Easy Garlic Hummus with Crispy Chickpeas
- To make the hummus, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas to a food processor. Top with tahini, lemon juice, and olive oil. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper (to taste). Blend until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water until you reach desired consistency.
- To make the crispy chickpeas, bring a medium sized skillet with olive oil to medium heat. Once the oil is warm, add the chickpeas and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper (to taste). Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-10 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy and golden on the outside.
- Serve the hummus topped with the chickpeas and your favorite pita, veggies, or crackers.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.