This delicious Glazed Orange Cake is super moist and absolutely delicious! It's naturally sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with fresh orange juice, cinnamon and a wonderful orange glaze. It can easily be made gluten free and in one bowl for an incredible breakfast, snack or dessert!
We are obsessed with how amazing this orange cake tastes! It’s not your average orange loaf for several reasons:
- It’s completely vegan! There's no need for eggs or any dairy in this recipe. We're using vegan butter and plant-based milk for extra richness and moisture.
- You can easily make it gluten free, thanks to King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour.
- Aside from the glaze, the cake is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and fresh orange juice.
- It’s super easy to make in one bowl and bakes up tender, incredibly moist and bursting with fresh orange flavor.
- To finish it off, once baked we're pouring a lovely, sweet orange glaze over the top.
Orange Cake Ingredients
This easy orange cake recipe uses simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Milk: We use unsweetened almond milk or oat milk to keep this recipe dairy free and vegan, but any milk will work.
- Orange Juice: Freshly squeezed will yield the best flavor.
- Maple Syrup: To perfectly sweeten the loaf.
- Butter: Rather than using oil in this bread, we like to use melted vegan butter for both flavor and texture. Regular butter will also work if you're not adhering to a vegan or dairy-free diet.
- Baking Essentials: You need both baking powder and baking soda to give the cake lift and make it nice and fluffy.
- For Flavor: Cinnamon and vanilla add a subtle sweetness and warmth.
- Flour: Use regular all-purpose flour for the perfect texture. If you want to make gluten-free bread, we recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, coconut flour, etc.
- For the Glaze: A simple mix of powdered sugar, almond milk, orange juice and vanilla makes the most irresistible orange glaze. It's completely optional, but highly recommended!
How to Moist Orange Cake
You only need one bowl and about 10 minutes to prep this vegan orange loaf recipe! Here's the simple process:
- Make the batter: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix the almond or oat milk, orange juice, maple syrup, melted butter, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla. Then, mix in the all-purpose flour until a batter forms.
- Bake: Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until it's golden on top. Check the center for doneness by using a toothpick.
- Make the glaze: While the loaf is baking, use an electric hand mixer to mix the orange glaze ingredients. Pour the glaze over the warm loaf & enjoy!
- More orange flavor: For even more orange flavor, add in the zest from one orange. Be sure to zest it before you juice it!
- Measure flour correctly: It's important to use the correct amount of flour for the best texture. To correctly measure the flour, lightly spoon flour (don’t pack) into a measuring cup and without shaking the cup, use the straight side of a butter knife to level the flour off the top.
- Don’t over-mix ingredients: Once you add the flour to the wet ingredients, be sure to avoid over-mixing the batter. This can make your loaf tough and too dense.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, simply make the batter as directed, then divide it between 12 greased muffin cups. Bake for 18-24 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
This orange cake recipe is plenty moist because of the milk, fresh orange juice, maple syrup and butter. To keep leftovers moist, be sure to wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
Ovens can vary so be sure to check the loaf after about 40 minutes. It is done baking when a skewer, butter knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs. If you notice the top getting too brown, you can lightly cover the bread with foil.
Store any leftover orange cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to about 4 days.
To freeze, store it unglazed wrapped in plastic wrap and then placed into an airtight container like a freezer bag for up to 2-3 months. To thaw, let it sit in the fridge overnight and prepare your glaze on the day that you are ready to serve it.
More Cake Recipes
Orange Cake Ingredients
- ¾ cup unsweetened oat or almond milk regular milk will also work
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup melted vegan butter regular butter will also work
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cup regular or gluten-free all-purpose flour If gluten free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk or oat milk regular milk will also work
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
How To Make This Orange Cake
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond or oat milk, orange juice, maple syrup, melted butter, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla. Then, mix in the all-purpose flour until a batter forms.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until it's golden on top. Check the center for doneness by using a toothpick.
- While the loaf is baking, use an electric hand mixer to mix the orange glaze ingredients. Pour the glaze over the warm loaf & enjoy!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.