Banana slices coated in pancake batter and pan fried to golden perfection. These Mini Banana Pancake Bites are mouth-watering, vegan, gluten free and a family-friendly breakfast that everyone will go bananas over!
Aren't these little pancakes just the cutest? These vegan banana pancake bites are just as tasty as they are adorable! I absolutely love the combination of bananas and pancake batter, so I decided to make these little pancakes that have a banana medallion in the middle. This recipe is already vegan but you can easily make it gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour. Let's dig in!
- Bananas: You will need about 4 bananas and slice them into ⅓ inch thick medallions.
- Plant-Based Milk: I like to use oat or almond milk. If you aren't vegan, feel free to use dairy-based milk.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup naturally sweetens the pancake batter.
- Baking Powder: A bit of baking powder helps these to get fluffy around the edges!
- Vanilla Extract: A little goes a long way, and adds a really nice flavor!
- Cinnamon: I like to add cinnamon for added flavor as well. Feel free to omit it if you aren't a fan.
- Flour: You can use all-purpose flour or for gluten-free banana pancake bites, use a gluten-free flour like King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour.
- Vegan Butter: For frying up these adorable little pancakes!
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Begin by slicing the bananas into ⅓ inch medallions. Then, in a separate bowl, whisk together the oat or almond milk, maple syrup, baking powder, vanilla and cinnamon. Then, add the flour and mix until a pancake batter is formed.
Step 2: Bring a skillet to a medium heat, add ½ tablespoon of vegan butter and wait for it to sizzle and melt. Stir in the pan to make sure it is evenly coated. Then, use a fork to coat the banana slices in the pancake batter and immediately place into the hot buttered skillet. Repeat until you've filled the skillet (leaving about an inch of room in between each pancake bite). Fry until golden and flip.
Step 3: Once the mini banana pancake bites are golden on each side, remove them from the skillet and place onto a plate. You can line the plate with a paper towel to soak up oil if you prefer. Repeat until all of the batter and banana slices are used. Enjoy!
- Keep them warm! Since you have a few batches of banana pancake bites to make, you can keep the rest of them warm by placing them onto a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven, if you would like to serve them all at once!
- Make sure the banana slices aren't too thick! It is best to keep the slices to ⅓ inch thick, so that the pancake batter that is around the edge can still cook up nicely. If they are too thick, the pancake batter around the edges won't cook properly.
- For ease, you can use a vegan pancake mix for this batter if you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can serve these in a plethora of ways! I like to drizzle some maple syrup over them and call it a day. But you can also serve them with a dust of powdered sugar on top, or with some whipped coconut cream! You can add them to your favorite plant-based yogurt or eat them plain.
Banana pancake bites are best eaten on the same day that they are made, since bananas will oxidize and might turn a little brown in the middle. However, you can definitely save some and have them the next day! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day.
Definitely! You can store these pancakes in an airtight, freezer-safe container like a freezer bag for up to 2-3 months. Thaw them in the fridge the night before you are ready to eat them, and heat them up in a pan prior to serving.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes to Try
Mini Banana Pancake Bites
Mini Banana Pancake Bites
- 4 bananas, sliced into ⅓ inch thick medallions
- 1 cup oat or almond milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter, for frying
Mini Banana Pancake Bites
- Begin by slicing the bananas into ⅓ inch thick slices. Then, in a separate bowl, whisk together the oat or almond milk, maple syrup, baking powder, vanilla and cinnamon. Then, add the flour and mix until a pancake batter is formed.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat, add ½ tablespoon vegan butter and wait for it to sizzle and melt, stir in the pan until it's evenly coated. Then, use a fork to coat the banana slices in the pancake batter and immediately place into the hot buttered skillet. Repeat until you've filled the skillet (leaving about an inch of room between each pancake bite). Fry until golden and the flip.
- Once the pancake bites are golden on each side, remove them from the skillet and place onto a plate (option to line the plate with paper towel to soak up excess oil). Repeat until all of the bananas and pancakes are used. Enjoy immediately.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.