These Powdered Sugar Donuts are absolutely delicious! They're a nostalgic family-friendly and kid-friendly favorite! The recipe is easy to make and they bake up perfectly soft and moist. A fun and easy treat that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert!
Skip the trip to the donut shop and make homemade powdered sugar donuts instead! They’re just as tasty, but way healthier and completely vegan. With this donut recipe you’ll have a treat that both kids and adults will enjoy.
You can also easily make them gluten free by using gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Powdered Sugar Donut Ingredients
This powdered sugar donuts recipe is made with simple ingredients and have a soft, tender crumb, plus sweet flavor from the powdered sugar. Here are all of the ingredients you’ll need:
- Milk: To make vegan donuts, use a dairy free milk like almond milk or oat milk. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular milk will work.
- Sugar: For the perfect amount of sweetness, use regular cane sugar.
- Butter: If you'd like to keep these vegan, you'll need to use a plant-based butter, if not, any butter will work.
- Baking Essentials: To ensure these vegan powdered sugar donuts bake properly with plenty of fluff, you'll need baking powder and baking soda.
- Vanilla: For delicious flavor!
- Flour: For that perfect tenderness, use all-purpose flour. If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- Powdered Sugar: Confectioners’ sugar coats these homemade donuts and makes them so tasty.
Click the Image for Silicone Donut Mold
How to Bake Powdered Sugar Donuts
Mix the Ingredients: In a large bowl, mix the milk, sugar, melted butter, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Then, stir in the flour, be careful not to over mix the batter.
Transfer The Powdered Sugar Donut Batter to the Pan: Spoon the batter into 12 to 14 doughnut molds.
Bake the Powdered Sugar Donuts: Place in oven and bake for about 25 minutes and until they are golden on top.
Coat the Donuts in Powdered Sugar: Immediately after taking the donuts out of the oven, remove them from the donut molds (be careful they will be hot). Once they’ve cooled for a few minutes and are warm and not hot, toss them in the powdered sugar & enjoy!
These baked powdered sugar donuts are simple to make, but here are a few tips to make sure they are perfect every time!
- Follow the recipe: The best way to ensure the success of these donuts is to follow the recipe and use the exact ingredients as written.
- Do not over-mix the batter: If you stir the batter too much you’ll end up with pastries that are more dense and gummy instead of fluffy and soft.
- Use fresh baking powder & baking soda: If your baking powder is older than 6 months, I suggest grabbing a new one for best baking results.
- Pan: You will need a non-stick donut pan for this recipe. You can find donut pans at most major retailers, and they typically come with 6 donut indentations to a pan. I ordered mine from Amazon and it was just over 10 dollars.
Frequently Asked Questions
According to The Kitchen, to keep powdered sugar from melting, add cornstarch. They recommend 1 teaspoon of cornstarch for every ¼ cup of powdered sugar used.
Baked donuts are best the day of making them. However, you can store the leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 day or for 1 week in the fridge. Microwave them for about 20-30 seconds, if you'd like to enjoy them warm.
To freeze, simply wrap donuts individually in freezer-safe bags or store them in a large freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, reheat for 30-45 seconds in the microwave or simply thaw them at room temperature.
More Donut Recipes
Powdered Sugar Donuts
Powdered Sugar Donuts
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened oat or almond milk option to use regular milk
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter option to use regular butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Powdered Sugar Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the almond or oat milk, sugar, melted vegan butter, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla. Then, mix in the flour just until combined. Don't over mix! Spoon the batter into 12-14 greased donut molds. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Immediately after taking the donuts out of the oven, remove them from the donut molds (be careful they will be hot). Once they’ve cooled for a few minutes and are warm and not hot, toss them in the powdered sugar & enjoy!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.