This Cornbread Waffles Recipe creates waffles that are crisp and golden on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. You only need 3 ingredients! They're vegan, gluten free, you only need 15 minutes and one bowl- and everyone will love them!
If you are a cornbread fan, you are going to absolutely love cornbread waffles! These turn out crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. They have a slightly sweet taste from the corn and are naturally gluten free! Start your day off with easy cornbread waffles and you won't be disappointed!
You can pair these cornbread waffles with savory or sweet toppings, the choice is yours! The cornbread offers a flavor profile that is versatile and oh so delicious.
My homemade cornbread waffles recipe uses minimal, easy to find ingredients for ease. Here's what you'll need:
- Cornmeal: All you need as the base of this recipe is cornmeal. This is a naturally gluten free way to make delicious waffles. I like Arrowhead Mills!
- Canned Coconut Milk: The canned coconut milk is thick and has lots of flavor. Before opening the can, shake the can to make sure the milk is a cohesive mixture.
- Baking Powder: A bit of baking powder helps to make these waffles nice and fluffy!
- Optional: Option here to add some vegan butter and maple syrup to the batter for extra flavor. Then, top the waffles off with vegan butter and maple syrup along with all of your favorite waffle toppings!
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, mix the canned coconut milk and baking powder. Stir in the Arrowhead Mills cornmeal and mix until a smooth batter forms. Option to add melted vegan mutter and maple syrup to the batter if preferred.
Step 2: Spoon the batter into a hot waffle iron that has been sprayed with coconut oil spray. Cook each waffle until golden and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per waffle.
- Cooking time may vary! Depending on your waffle iron, it might take a longer or shorter amount of time to cook these cornbread waffles.
- Keep them warm! You can keep the waffles warm while making the rest of the batch by placing a wire rack on a baking sheet and putting the already cooked waffles on top and in a 200 degree oven.
- Serve them sweet! You can top these waffles off with vegan butter, maple syrup, fresh fruit, and vegan whipped cream.
- Serve them savory! Or, you can serve cornbread waffles as a savory breakfast with vegan sausage, tofu scramble, and vegan cheese on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
To ensure your waffles don't stick to the waffle iron, spray the iron with a nonstick cooking spray like coconut oil spray or vegan butter in between each waffle!
Cool the waffles completely after cooking and then transfer them to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To freeze, you can place each waffle in individual baggies or separate each waffle with parchment paper in a large freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Waffle Recipes to Try
Cornbread Waffles Recipe
3-Ingredient Cornbread Waffles
- 1 ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
Optional Cornbread Waffle Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
3-Ingredient Cornbread Waffles
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the canned coconut milk and baking powder. Stir in the Arrowhead Mills cornmeal and mix until a smooth batter forms. Option to add maple syrup and vegan butter to the batter.
- Spoon the batter into a hot waffle iron that has been sprayed with coconut oil spray. Cook each waffle until golden and crisp (about 2-3 minutes per waffle)
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.