Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are one of those classic donut flavors that everyone loves. There's nothing not to like! They are fluffy, buttery, and flavored with vanilla. Coated in a little vegan butter and cinnamon sugar topping, these donuts come out perfect! They are also super easy, vegan friendly, and can even be made gluten free.
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Ingredients
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Batter:
- Milk: For vegan donuts, I recommend using almond or oat milk. You can use regular milk if you are not worried about these donuts being vegan.
- Butter: Vegan butter works great here. It is also totally fine to substitute regular butter if you don't want vegan donuts.
- Sugar: Regular, granulated sugar makes these donuts have a hint of sweetness.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Baking powder and baking soda is added to help the donuts rise.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is used to lend more flavor to the donuts.
- Flour: You can choose whether to use regular flour or gluten free flour, depending on your preference. If you're making gluten-free cinnamon sugar donuts, we recommend using King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- Sugar: Granulated cane sugar makes part of the delicious cinnamon sugar topping.
- Cinnamon: Add ground cinnamon to the sugar for flavor!
- Butter: A little bit of vegan butter is melted to help the cinnamon sugar topping stick to the cinnamon sugar donuts. Again, if you're not making vegan cinnamon sugar donuts, regular butter will work.
Click Image for Silicone Donut Mold
How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
These baked vegan cinnamon sugar donuts are simple to make with just a few pieces of baking equipment. Here are the simple steps to the perfect donuts:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix the milk, melted butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla. Then, mix in the flour until a batter forms.
Step 2: Pour the batter into greased donut molds or lined muffin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the donuts have risen and are lightly golden.
Step 3: While the donuts bake, prepare the cinnamon sugar by mixing the cinnamon and sugar together in a shallow bowl.
Step 4: Let the donuts cool for 5 minutes. Then, brush with melted butter and toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve and enjoy!
- You can easily make these into gluten-free cinnamon sugar donuts by using a gluten free flour. Make sure that the gluten-free flour is a 1-1 replacement flour like King Arthur.
- Don't over-mix the batter: It is important that once the flour is added to the batter, you don't over-mix. Mix until the ingredients are just combined. If you over-mix, it can result in tough donuts instead of tender and fluffy!
- For the classic donut shape, it is best to use a donut mold. If you prefer, you can make these into cinnamon sugar muffins and they will still be delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store these donuts in an airtight container on the counter for up to 1 day, or place them in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can eat them as is, or microwave them for about 20 minutes so that they are warm.
Yes! You can freeze these donuts in individual freezer bags for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat them, you can let them thaw to room temperature or you can pop them in the microwave for about 45 minutes or until heated through.
More Vegan Donut Recipes
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup almond or oat milk regular milk will also work if you're not vegan
- 6 tablespoon melted vegan butter regular butter will also work if you're not vegan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon melted vegan butter regular butter will also work if you're not vegan
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts Instructions
- Preheat Oven to 375
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the oat or almond milk, melted plant butter, sugar (or sugar and stevia), baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla. Then, mix in the all-purpose flour until a batter forms.
- Pour the batter into 12-14 greased donut molds or lined muffin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes until the donuts have risen and lightly golden.
- While the donuts are baking, prepare the cinnamon sugar by mixing the cinnamon and sugar together in a shallow bowl.
- Once donuts are done and have cooled for 5 minutes, brush with melted plant butter and then toss in cinnamon sugar mixture.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.