Chocolate breakfast lovers, I have a treat for you! These Delicious Chocolate Pancakes are going to be a favorite in your family! You only need one bowl, 6 ingredients, and 5 minutes to mix! This recipe is vegan and gluten-free friendly but no one would ever guess because these pancakes are so fluffy, chocolatey, and delicious!
Chocolate Pancake Ingredients
- Milk: We recommend using plain and unsweetened almond or oat milk in these chocolate pancakes. If you are not vegan or gluten-free regular whole milk or 2% milk will work.
- Cocoa Powder: Any cocoa powder you have on hand will work to give these pancakes a delicious chocolatey flavor.
- Sugar: We recommend using organic cane sugar or purecane sugar substitute to sweeten the chocolate pancakes. Big thanks to our sponsor, purecane, for helping us make these amazing chocolate pancakes without added sugar!
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds flavor to the pancakes!
- Baking Powder
- Flour: We recommend using regular or gluten-free all purpose flour in these chocolate pancakes. Our gluten-free flour of choice is King Arthur Measure for Measure.
- Chocolate Chips: Use regular or vegan chocolate chips in the batter or as a topping of these chocolate pancakes. This step is optional but is totally delicious!
- Butter or Oil (for frying): To keep this easy chocolate pancakes recipe vegan, we use vegan butter in the frying pan. You can also use a little bit or oil or non-stick spray. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular butter will work.
Chocolate Pancake Toppings
- Fruit: We love topping these pancakes with fresh fruit like raspberries, black berries, blueberries, strawberries, or banana slices.
- Maple Syrup: Can't go wrong with a classic stack of pancakes drizzled with maple syrup!
- Vegan Butter: We love spreading these chocolate pancakes with a little vegan butter before serving warm.
- Nut Butter: If you want to skip the maple syrup for a nut butter, that is a super healthy and delicious option! We recommend peanut butter or almond butter drizzled over these chocolate pancakes for added flavor, plant protein, healthy fats, and to make them more filling.
Step 1: In a medium mixing bowl, mix the plant-based milk, cocoa powder, sugar or purecane, vanilla, and baking powder together. Add the flour and mix until a silky chocolate pancake batter is formed. Option to add the chocolate chips into the batter now.
Step 2: Spoon the batter into a warm greased skillet and fry until bubble form on the top. Option to sprinkle chocolate chips into the pancakes as they fry. Once bubbles form on the tops, flip the pancakes and fry until for another 1-2 minutes or until they are golden.
Step 3: Serve the pancakes with maple syrup, fruit, vegan butter, or nut butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can make these chocolate pancakes ahead of time and refrigerate for 2-3 days or freeze for 30-60 days. Reheat in the microwave until warm and fluffy.
Yes! Here are some other pancake recipes you might enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Peanut Butter Pancakes
Best Banana Pancakes
I use a non-stick skillet from Caraway! Click here for 10% off!
- mixing bowl
Easy Chocolate Pancakes Ingredients
- 1 cup unsweetened oat or almond milk
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar or purecane sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup regular or gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips optional
- vegan butter or coconut oil for frying not factored into nutritional label
Instructions for One-Bowl Chocolate Pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, mix the almond milk, cocoa powder, purecane or sugar, vanilla, and baking powder together. Once mixed, add the flour and mix until a silky chocolate pancake batter is formed. Fold in the chocolate chips if desired.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat, add a pat of vegan butter or 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Once the butter is melted and sizzling, or the oil is hot, spoon in about 3 tablespoon of pancake batter per pancake. Fry for 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form on the tops of the pancakes. Use the spatula to flip the pancakes and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat until all of the batter is used. You should have about small 16 pancakes or 8 full sized pancakes.
- Serve the about 4 small pancakes each or 2 full-sized chocolate pancakes each. Top with berries, banana slices, and maple syrup.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.
Leave a Reply