Golden and crisp on the outside, and super fluffy and light on the inside. These Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes are as easy to make as they are delicious, and full of yummy chocolate chip and banana flavor! You only need 5 simple vegan ingredients, they can be made gluten-free and they take only 20 minutes to whip up!
These vegan chocolate chip banana pancakes are about to be your new breakfast go-to. They are kid-friendly and absolutely delicious for the whole family! Plus, you can make them gluten-free with one simple swap. Top them off with maple syrup and fresh fruit and you will have a seriously good breakfast of champions!
The ingredients used in my gluten-free chocolate chip banana pancakes recipe are whole, good-for-you ingredients that you probably already have on hand! Here's what you'll need:
- Bananas: Over ripe bananas work best in this recipe. If you have bananas on hand that aren't super ripe yet, you can peel them and pop them in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds until soft. They won't be as sweet, but you can add a little maple syrup to the batter if that is the case!
- Baking Powder: Baking powder will help these chocolate chip banana pancakes get nice and fluffy!
- Plant-based Milk: We recommend using unsweetened almond or oat milk to keep this recipe vegan.
- Flour: For best results use all purpose flour or gluten-free flour like King Arthur Measure for Measure flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips: Vegan chocolate chips add a touch of sweetness and an amazingly chocolatey flavor!
- Optional: Option to add maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla to the pancake batter for a hint of extra sweetness and flavor!
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Mash the ripe bananas and mix them with the plant-based milk, baking powder, and optional ingredients (if using). Mix in the flour. The mixture will be slightly lumpy, this is ok! Option to fold in the chocolate chips into the batter now or sprinkle them onto the batter when it's in the frying pan.
Step 2: Heat a skillet to medium heat and add a little vegan butter or generously spray with olive oil or coconut oil spray. Once the vegan butter or oil is melted and bubbling, scoop in 3-4 tablespoons of the batter per pancake. If you didn't already fold the chocolate chips into the batter, sprinkle them on top of the pancake as soon as you've scooped it into the pan.
Step 3: Cook each pancake until bubbles form on the top and then flip with a spatula. They should be golden brown on each side. Top with more chocolate chips and drizzle with maple syrup before serving. Enjoy!
- Don't squish your pancakes. For the best chocolate chip banana pancakes, try not to push down on the pancakes with your spatula while they are cooking. This will result in dense pancakes instead of perfect fluffy goodness!
- Only Flip Once! You only need to flip pancakes one time. Flipping them over and over will cause them to loose all that fluffiness.
- Keep warm. While you cook your vegan chocolate chip banana pancakes in batches, you can place the finished ones on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven to keep them warm until serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
These pancakes can be served with vegan yogurt and granola and fresh fruit, or even with some breakfast potatoes! You can also serve these with coconut whipped cream on top, yum!
I always tend to use unsweetened almond or oat milk in the majority of my recipes. For this recipe, I used Malk Unsweetened Almond Milk. It has just three ingredients, so there are no sneaky preservatives or added sugars!
- To Store: To store any leftover vegan and gluten-free pancakes, refrigerate them covered for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
- To Freeze: To freeze these chocolate chip banana pancakes, place them in an airtight container with parchment paper in between each pancake for up to 60 days. Thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
- 2 overripe bananas
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cup almond or oat milk
- 2 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
- Mash the ripe bananas and mix them with the almond milk, baking powder and optional ingredients (if using). Mix in the flour. The batter will be slightly lumpy, this is ok! Option to fold the chocolate chips into the batter now or sprinkle them onto the batter when it's in the frying pan.
- Heat a skillet to medium and add a little vegan butter or spray generously with olive oil or coconut oil spray. Once the vegan butter or oil is melted and begins to bubble, scoop in 3-4 tablespoon of the batter per pancake. If you didn't already fold the chocolate chips into the batter, sprinkle them on top of the pancake batter as soon as you've scooped it into the pan.
- Cook each pancake until bubbles form on the top and then flip with a spatula. They should be golden brown on each side. Top with more chocolate chips and drizzle with maple syrup before serving. Enjoy!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.