Everyone in your home is going to love these healthy Sweet Potato Pancakes. They taste as good as they look and you only need a handful of ingredients and about 20 minutes to make. We use oats in place of the regular flour in this recipe, making these sweet potato pancakes fluffy and filling! This recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegan, and can be made with reduced sugar.
Oatmeal Sweet Potato Pancakes Ingredients
- Sweet Potato: We use canned sweet potato puree in these gluten-free sweet potato pancakes to give them a delicious sweet potato flavor.
- Milk: To make these sweet potato pancakes vegan, use unsweetened almond or oat milk. If you are not vegan, ok to use regular milk.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar compliments the sweet potato flavors so well in this recipe. If you want to make these oatmeal sweet potato pancakes without sugar, use purecane brown sugar substitute.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon spice goes so well with sweet potato.
- Vanilla: Vanilla adds another element of flavor to these gluten-free sweet potato pancakes.
- Baking Powder: Since this pancake recipe is vegan, we use baking powder to help the pancakes rise.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavor of these pancakes.
- Oats: Oats are used in this gluten-free sweet potato pancake recipe to make them more filling. We use quick oats in this recipe. The quick oats make the texture soft and fluffy. If you don't have quick oats, you can pulse old fashioned oats in a food processor to break them down.
- Oat Flour: Oat flour is a naturally gluten-free flour but still allows the pancakes to become fluffy and delicious!
What Else You Need
- Maple Syrup: The perfect topping to any pancake recipe!
- Butter or Non-Stick Spray: I used vegan butter to fry my gluten-free sweet potato pancakes, but if you are not vegan, you can use regular butter.
- Skillet or Griddle: Fry your oatmeal sweet potato pancakes in a griddle or on a skillet.
- Spatula: Needed to flip the pancakes.
Oatmeal Sweet Potato Pancakes Instructions
Step 1: Add the sweet potato puree, almond milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and vanilla to a bowl and mix. Add the oats and mix. Then add the oat flour and mix until a batter is formed.
Step 2: Bring a skillet with non-stick spray or vegan butter to medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, scoop in about 3-4 tablespoon of batter per pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form on the tops of the sweet potato pancakes and the bottoms of the pancakes are golden brown and lift easily off of the skillet.
Flipping The Pancakes
Step 3: Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on the bottom and lift easily off of the skillet. You may see a few bubbles form on the tops of the pancakes. That is how you will know it's time to slip. Use your spatula to flip the sweet potato pancakes.
Step 4: Cook until pancakes are golden on each side and remove from the skillet. Repeat these steps, adding more butter or oil into the skillet as needed, until all of the pancake batter is used.
Step 5: Serve the sweet potato pancakes topped with maple syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
You may store the leftover pancakes in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat by microwaving for 30-60 seconds.
Yes! These vegan and gluten-free sweet potato pancakes use healthy ingredients like oats, almond milk, and sweet potato puree.
I recommend greasing your skillet or griddle with butter (regular or vegan butter) or with non-stick cooking spray made with coconut oil or avocado oil.
Other Healthy Gluten-Free Pancake Recipes
- Blender Oatmeal Banana Pancakes
- Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- Best Vegan Banana Pancakes
- 20 Minute Vegan Oatmeal Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Vegan Protein Pancakes
Oatmeal Sweet Potato Pancakes
- non-stick skillet or pancake griddle
- cooking spray or vegan butter for frying
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 1 tablespoon purecane brown sugar substitute or 2 tablespoon regular brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Add the sweet potato puree, almond milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and vanilla to a bowl and mix. Add the oats and mix. Then add the oat flour and mix until a batter is formed.
- Bring a skillet with non-stick spray or vegan butter to medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, scoop in about 3-4 tablespoon of batter per pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form on the tops of the sweet potato pancakes. Flip. They should be golden around the edges.
- Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on each side and then remove from the skillet. Repeat these steps, adding more butter or oil into the skillet as needed, until all of the pancake batter is used.
- Serve the sweet potato pancakes topped with maple syrup.