If you're on the hunt for a seriously delicious vegan pancake recipe, we've got you covered with our Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes. And guess what? These fluffy delights aren't just vegan – they're also dairy-free and gluten-free friendly, making them a fantastic choice for a wholesome breakfast that everyone can enjoy. So, why wait? Dive into the world of irresistible vegan pancakes that'll leave your taste buds dancing with joy!
This recipe for vegan pancakes that taste just like classic buttermilk pancakes makes for a such a wonderful breakfast of light, fluffy and absolutely irresistible pancakes cooked to golden brown perfection. They are simple to mix up and the perfect way to make any breakfast or brunch gathering extra special!
Vegan Buttermilk Pancake Ingredients
- Non-Dairy Milk: Choose from a variety of non-dairy milk options like almond milk or oat milk. Regular milk is suitable for non-vegan or non-dairy-free alternatives.
- Pure Maple Syrup: Infuse the pancake batter with a touch of pure maple syrup to introduce a delightful natural sweetness.
- Plant-Based Butter: Enhance texture, impart buttermilk-like flavor, and add richness with plant-based butter.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Incorporate fresh lemon juice for the traditional tanginess and fluffiness of classic buttermilk pancakes. Apple cider vinegar can be a substitute.
- Flavorful Additions: Elevate taste by adding optional vanilla extract and ground cinnamon for a warm and comforting flavor profile.
- All-Purpose Flour: Maintain a light and fluffy texture using all-purpose flour. Gluten-free option: King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Avoid using almond flour, baking flour, etc.
How to Make Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
Combine Ingredients: Mix the milk, maple syrup, vegan butter, baking powder, lemon juice or vinegar, vanilla, and cinnamon together. Add the flour and mix until smooth.
Add Batter to Skillet: Heat a greased skillet or griddle to medium heat and spoon the batter in (about 3 tablespoon per pancake).
Cook Until Golden on Botton: Cook the vegan pancakes until bubbles form on the tops and then use a spatula to flip the pancakes.
Continue: Continue to cook the pancakes until they are all golden on both sides and they pancakes lift easily off of the pan. Drizzle with maple syrup before serving & enjoy warm.
- Measuring Flour: To ensure best results, spoon the flour into the measuring cup, then use the back of a knife to level off the top, removing any excess flour from the top.
- Cooking: Don’t press down on the pancake with the back of your spatula. This can cause them to flatten and it won’t help them cook any faster.
- Only Flip Once: Flipping these vegan pancakes back and forth causes them to deflate and become dense, so when it’s time to check if they’re done on bottom, just barely lift them to take a peek.
- Keep Warm. Place the finished pancakes on a baking sheet in a 200 degree F oven to keep them warm while you wait for the rest of the pancakes to cook.
Frequently Asked Questions
Vegan pancakes pair well with hash browns or breakfast potatoes, fresh fruit, yogurt and much more!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to about 4 to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven.
Yes! Freeze in an airtight storage container or in a freezer bag with parchment paper between the layers to keep them from sticking to each other. They will keep in the freezer for up to about 3 months. To reheat, simply add pancakes to a plate and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warm.
More Vegan Pancake Recipes
Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- Mix the oat milk, maple syrup, baking powder, lemon juice/vinegar, vegan butter, vanilla, and cinnamon together. Add the flour and mix until smooth.
- Heat a greased skillet or griddle to medium heat & spoon the batter in (about 3 tablespoon per pancake) - cook until bubbles form on the top and then flip. Cook until golden on the bottom and the pancakes lift easily off of the pan. Top with maple syrup & enjoy.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.