I used to call these my "Healthy Brownie Muffins" because these vegan and gluten-free chocolate muffins are made with oat flour, coconut milk, and other healthier ingredients. They're moist and gooey in the inside, fluffy on the outside, and oh so chocolatey! Everyone loves this super easy Chocolate Muffin Recipe and no one can ever guess they're vegan and gluten-free!
Chocolate Muffins Ingredients
- Maple Syrup: Maple Syrup is a healthier way to sweeten these moist vegan chocolate muffins.
- Coconut Milk: Regular chocolate muffins require milk, eggs, and butter. These moist vegan and gluten-free chocolate muffins are made with coconut milk, making them dairy-free, vegan, egg-free, and oil-free! The coconut milk also makes these chocolate muffins super moist on the inside. They are similar in texture to brownies.
- Vanilla and Cocoa: Vanilla mixed with cocoa is a match made in chocolate muffin heaven!
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Used to help these chocolate muffins get super fluffy.
- Oat Flour: This vegan chocolate muffin recipe is also gluten-free (and healthier) because we use oat flour instead of regular all purpose flour.
- Flax Eggs: Flax eggs are used in this recipe to keep it vegan, egg-free, and super healthy. Flax eggs are used as a binder. If you're not vegan, 1 regular egg will work.
- Chocolate Chips: Use vegan chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips if not vegan) to make double chocolate muffins.
How To Make Flax Eggs
This moist vegan chocolate muffin recipe requires two flax eggs. To make flax eggs, simply mix together the flax seed meal with hot water. Stir and let this sit for 2-5 minutes or until a gel forms.
How to Make Chocolate Muffins
Step 1: Begin by preheating your oven. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Step 2: Next, prepare your flax egg as instructed.
Step 3: Add the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, and baking soda to a bowl. Mix well. Then, add the flax egg (once a gel has formed) and mix well. Add the cocoa powder and mix until the muffin batter is smooth and silky. Add the oat flour and mix until thick batter forms. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 4: Spoon the muffin batter into the lined muffin tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until your kitchen smells incredible and your muffins have fully risen. Don't over-bake them or they will become dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
I highly recommend following this recipe to a tee, even if you are not vegan. The flax eggs provide moister and density making these chocolate muffins super ooey gooey. You may be able to use 1 regular egg (if you're not vegan) in place of the 2 flax eggs, but I have not tested the results this way.
The coconut milk is what provides a ton of moisture to these vegan chocolate muffins. You don't taste any coconut, it just tastes lightly sweet and chocolatey! If you cannot use coconut milk, I would try using 1 full cup of plant-based milk and ½ cup plant-based butter.
Oat flour is the key to giving these healthy muffins so much flavor and a rich moist texture. If you can't use oat flour, I recommend trying 1.5 to 1.75 cups of regular or gluten-free all purpose flour.
Other Vegan Muffin Recipes
- Super Moist Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Vegan Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- 30 Minute Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- One-Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Muffin Ingredients
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 flax eggs or one regular egg
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cup oat flour or 1 ½ cups regular flour
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
Chocolate Muffin Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare the flax seed meal mixture by mixing 2 tablespoon of flax seed meal with 4 tablespoon of warm water together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup, flax eggs, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until smooth
- Then, mix in the oat flour. Option to fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into 12-16 lined muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes. Enjoy warm!