This is the Best Blueberry Muffins Recipe and no one in your home will believe it's vegan! These vegan blueberry muffins are made with a handful of simple ingredients that are wholesome, healthy, and delicious. The result is a batch of fluffy, moist, and tender blueberry muffins that everyone in your home will love!
Serve these golden and soft blueberry muffins warm and spread with butter for a delicious family-friendly and kid-friendly breakfast or snack!
Best Blueberry Muffins Ingredients
- Milk: To keep this recipe vegan, use any plant-based milk such as almond milk or oat milk. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, feel free to use regular dairy milk.
- Banana: This is my secret ingredient to make the best blueberry muffins. It provides moisture, acts as a binder (instead of using an egg), and brings a naturally sweet flavor to these muffins.
- Butter: To keep this recipe dairy-free, we use vegan butter. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, feel free to use regular butter.
- Maple Syrup: Used to naturally sweeten this delicious treat.
- Sugar, Stevia, or Purecane: Stevia is a zero calorie sugar substitute that is derived from plants. You may also use regular organic cane sugar or purecane sugar-free substitute in this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: Provides that classic blueberry muffin flavor to the muffin batter.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Helps the muffins rise while baking.
- Flour: Use regular all-purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour to make gluten-free blueberry muffins.
- Blueberries: I actually prefer using frozen wild blueberries in this blueberry muffin recipe, you can also use fresh blueberries.
How To Make The Best Blueberry Muffins
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners. Lightly spray the muffin paper with non-stick spray to keep the muffins from sticking to the liners.
Step 2: Use a fork to mash the overripe banana in the bowl. Then, add the almond milk or oat milk, maple syrup, sugar or stevia, vanilla extract, vegan butter (wet ingredients) plus the baking powder and baking soda.
Step 3: Then, add the flour and mix until a smooth muffin batter is formed.
Step 4: Fold in the blueberries.
Step 5: Scoop the vegan blueberry muffin batter into muffin tin. Fill each muffin tin about ⅔ of the way full. Bake for about 25 minutes until the muffins rise and are golden. Check the center for doneness inserting a toothpick to ensure it comes out clean.
Step 6: Serve the blueberry muffins warm on their own or spread with a little vegan butter.
Are Blueberry Muffins Healthy?
Blueberry muffins can be a healthy part of any diet! This recipe is great because it uses plant-based ingredients, replaces the need for animal products like eggs by swapping in a banana, and it can even be made with reduced sugar. This is a great healthy-ish breakfast or snack that you can feel good about!
How To Make Puffy Muffin Tops
My trick to making puffy muffin tops is to only use half of the wells in your muffin tin. Try only lining half of the wells, alternating so that each well that will be used is surrounded by only empty wells (see photo below). This will allow your muffin tops to become more full while baking.
How To Freeze Blueberry Muffins?
You may store these delicious blueberry muffins on the counter in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To freeze, allow them to cool completely and then wrap each muffin in freezer wrap or foil. Store them in a plastic bag for 30-60 days. To reheat, remove them from the plastic bag and freezer wrap or aluminum foil and microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most common reason why your blueberry muffins may be falling apart is that there is an error with one of your ingredients or with your measurements. Make sure to follow the instructions of this recipe carefully to ensure the perfect blueberry muffins.
You have either not baked them long enough or you have possibly used the wrong type of flour. This recipe calls for regular all-purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour.
To make gluten-free blueberry muffins, substitute the regular purpose flour for gluten-free all purpose flour. I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure or Cup4Cup for best results.
Lemon zest tastes great with blueberry muffins! Sprinkle a little in the batter or on top of the muffins before serving. You could also add in about ½ to 1 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips.
I recommend using this easy vegan blueberry muffin recipe that does not contain bananas!
To make gluten-free blueberry muffins with oat flour, I recommend following this recipe.
Other Muffin Recipes
- Super Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Vegan Copycat Starbucks Blueberry Muffins
- One-Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Copycat Starbucks Blueberry Muffins
- Super Moist Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry Muffin Recipe
The Best Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup almond or oat milk or regular milk
- 1 medium mashed overripe banana
- ⅓ cup melted regular or vegan butter use as little as ¼ cup
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cane sugar or 3-4 teaspoon stevia you may also use ¼ cup purecane sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup regular all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
The Best Blueberry Muffins Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 10-12 muffin tins with paper liners. Lightly spray the muffin paper with non-stick spray to keep the muffins from sticking to the liners.
- In a large bowl, add the mashed banana, non-dairy milk, vanilla, maple syrup, vegan butter, sugar (or stevia), baking soda, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Mix in flour until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix. Fold in the blueberries gently. Pour the batter into 10-12 lined muffin cups (about ⅔ of the way full)
- Bake for about 25 minutes and until golden!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.