This 7 Ingredient Easy Vegan French Toast is the perfect weekend breakfast or brunch! You only need 15 minutes and a few simple ingredients. This is a family-friendly french toast recipe that everyone will love!
Oftentimes I literally crave this Easy Vegan French Toast for a Saturday morning breakfast! As vegans, we shouldn't have to skimp on our weekend brunch. This vegan french toast comes out perfectly toasty on the outside while also being perfectly moist and custardy.
With only 7 ingredients, my easy vegan french toast recipe uses simple ingredients for the best breakfast! Here's what you'll need:
- Milk: To keep this recipe vegan, choose a plant based milk like oat or almond milk!
- Flax Seed Meal & Hot Water: Flax seed meal and hot water are mixed to make our vegan egg mixture.
- Vanilla: This is added to take the flavor up a notch!
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is used for that classic french toast taste!
- Bread: You can use any bread you want here. If you need a gluten-free meal, choose a gluten-free bread!
- Butter: Use a plant based butter to cook the french toast in the pan.
- To Top: You can top off your french toast with maple syrup, powdered sugar and fruit like berries or banana slices!
How to Make This Recipe
This recipe is made in just a few simple steps! If you need the full, printable recipe, check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Make Vegan "Eggs": In a small bowl, mix the flax seed meal and hot water together until a very thick paste forms.
- Make the Batter: Add the flax mixture, oat milk, vanilla and cinnamon to a bowl. Whisk until completely combined.
- Heat the Skillet: Bring a skillet with about a tablespoon of vegan butter to medium heat. Once the butter sizzles, use your spatula to pus it around the pan until it is evenly coated.
- Dip & Cook: Using the bread of your choice, dip the bread into the mixture for about 1 second so that it is coated on both sides. Immediately plave the coated bread into the skillet and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Used your spatula to flip the bread over.
- Serve & Enjoy: Once the other side of the bread is also golden brown, serve immediately and top your vegan french toast with powdered sugar, maple syrup and berries or sliced bananas! Enjoy!
- No plant based butter? No problem! If you don't have plant based butter on hand, you can substitute it with coconut oil!
- Don't flip too soon! Make sure you let the french toast get nice and golden brown before flipping it. This is key to having delicious french toast!
- Don't have flax seed meal on hand? If you don't regularly use flax seed meal, then you can try my Dairy Free Egg Free French Toast recipe instead!
- Avoid over soaking the bread! Just dip the bread in for a few seconds, maximum. If you let the bread sit in the mixture it will come out soggy in the middle!
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, you'll want to choose a vegan bread. Sourdough bread is great since it is vegan and has a deeper flavor profile. Or, your favorite vegan white or whole grain bread would work as well! If you are gluten-free, my favorite is Schar bread. The thicker the bread, the better the texture will be!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To freeze, place a piece of parchment paper in between each piece of toast and place in a freezer bag. You can freeze the french toast for up to 2 months. To reheat, you can warm these up from frozen in the microwave, toaster or oven on a low heat setting until heated through.
Yes! I recommend trying my Vegan French Toast Recipe without Flax.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- Pumpkin Bagel Bites
- Oatmeal Sweet Potato Pancakes
7 Ingredient Easy Vegan French Toast
Easy Vegan French Toast
- 1 cup oat milk or almond milk
- 4 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 4 tablespoon hot water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 loaf of vegan or gluten free bread (For Gluten Free - I like Schar)
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter for frying
Vegan French Toast Toppings
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- berries or banana slices
Easy Vegan French Toast
- In a small bowl, mix the flax seed meal and hot water together until a very thick paste forms.
- Add the flax mixture, oat milk, vanilla, and cinnamon to a bowl. Whisk until completely combined.
- Bring a skillet with about a tablespoon of vegan butter to medium heat. Once the butter sizzles, use your spatula to push it around the pan until it is evenly coated.
- Using your vegan or gluten free bread of choice, dip the bread into the mixture for about 1 second so that it is coated on both sides. Immediately place the coated bread into the skillet and cook for about 2 or 3 minutes (or until golden). Use your spatula to flip the bread over.
- Repeat until all of the bread is fried and golden, top your vegan french toast with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and berries or sliced bananas. Enjoy!
- Use your favorite vegan bread for this recipe, the thicker the slices the better!