Looking for a lower calorie, vegan, gluten free low carb burrito bowl recipe? This one has your name on it! It's easy to make with cauliflower rice, veggies and is topped with black beans, avocado and salsa. The perfect healthy lunch or dinner!
Reasons to Try this Low Carb Burrito Bowl
- Delicious Flavor: This vegan burrito bowl is so tasty, with the seasoned cauliflower rice, black beans, salsa, creamy avocado and fresh lime juice.
- Nutritious and Satisfying: This bowl is includes plenty of plant-based protein, nutrients, and fiber to really fill you up.
- Easy to Make & Versatile: These are simple to put together and they're even customizable. Feel free to change up the toppings, depending on what you're craving.
- Make Ahead: Are you someone who likes to meal prep? This recipe is perfect! You can have all of the ingredients ready to go in the fridge and enjoy multiple meals throughout the week.
Low Carb Burrito Bowl Ingredients Needed
Here's what we love to include in our low carb burrito bowl:
- Cauliflower Rice: For the base of the bowl, to keep this low carb and low calorie, we like to use either fresh or frozen cauliflower rice.
- Spices: Seasoning the cauliflower rice with garlic powder, cumin and chili powder adds delicious Mexican flavor.
- Black Beans: ½ cup black beans provide plant-based protein and a boost of fiber! Feel free to sub with another variety of beans, if you'd prefer.
- Avocado: Gives these bowls healthy fats and adds flavor and creaminess. You can use guacamole, if preferred.
- Salsa: Be sure to choose a mild salsa, if you're sensitive to spice. You can also use Pico de Gallo, if preferred.
- Bell Peppers: Sautéed bell peppers add a boost of nutrients and flavor to the bowls. We like to use these Fajita Veggies.
- Lime Juice: A drizzle fresh lime juice gives these a nice tartness and balances out all of the other flavors.
- Extra Protein: Add crispy tofu or tempeh to your bowl to boost the protein. If you are not plant-based, feel free to add grilled chicken.
How to Make Low Carb Burrito Bowls
- Make the cauliflower rice: Begin by heating a medium skillet to medium-high heat. Spray it with olive oil spray and add the frozen cauliflower rice. Sprinkle the seasonings on top and cook until desired crispiness (about 7 minutes). Stir frequently.
- Add toppings: Top with warm black beans, fajita veggies, salsa, pico, and lime juice. Option to add sliced avocado!
- If you're not concerned with keeping this low carb, feel free to sub the cauliflower rice with brown rice or quinoa packets from the store, which take just 90 seconds to cook.
- Burrito bowls are so easy to customize! The ingredients and measurements are simply suggestions. Feel free to add/swap any ingredients for your favs or what you have on hand.
- You can enjoy this bowl while it’s still warm, at room temperature, or even cold. Such a great option for a grab-n-go lunch!
- More veggies: Feel free to increase the veggie goodness in these bowls. We love sautéed zucchini, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and roasted cubed sweet potato!
- Make it a salad: Want to change it up a bit? Turn this recipe into a salad by adding lettuce. The salsa works as a dressing or try my healthy ranch dressing.
- Add some crunch: Pair with tortilla chips or top these bowls with crunchy tortilla strips!
Frequently Asked Questions
Burrito bowls can be very healthy, depending on the ingredients you are using to make your bowls. This low carb burrito bowl is just over 300 calories and contains nutrient-rich, satisfying ingredients. This particular burrito bowl recipe is very healthy and nutritious.
This cauliflower rice burrito bowl is lower in carbs than most made with white or brown rice, but still contains a good amount of carbs from the black beans. To lower the carb count, omit the beans or use just ¼ cup.
These really easy to make ahead of time and serve later. We recommend storing cooked foods together and the fresh foods in separate containers. You can double, triple or even quadruple this recipe. For packing in individual servings: once cooled, divide the cauliflower rice between meal prep containers, top with the beans, cover and store in the refrigerator. Fresh ingredients should be stored in separate airtight containers or ziplock bags. When you're ready to eat, reheat the cooked ingredients and then add in the fresh ingredients.
More Healthy Vegan Recipes
Low Calorie, Low Carb Burrito Bowl!
- 2 cup cauliflower rice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup black beans
- ¼ avocado sliced
- ¼ cup salsa or pico de gallo
- ¼ cup bell peppers
- juice from ¼ a lime
- Begin by heating a medium skillet to medium-high heat. Spray it with olive oil spray and add the frozen cauliflower rice. Sprinkle the seasonings on top and cook until desired crispiness (about 7 minutes). Stir frequently.
- Top with warm black beans, veggies, salsa, pico, and lime juice. Option to add sliced avocado!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.