These Easy Veggie Fajitas have quickly become one of our favorite meals! This tasty fajita recipe is made with plenty of fresh bell peppers and onion tossed in a simple homemade seasoning blend and piled high in warm tortillas or over rice and beans. This is a nutritious weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will love!
These veggie fajitas make for the perfect light (yet filling) dish that can quickly be cooked on busy weeknights, yet it’s totally worthy enough to serve when hosting friends for dinner. They are packed with flavor, made with nutrient-rich ingredients, and they’re FAST to throw together. The seasoning mix is super tasty, but so easy to make with very few ingredients!
Easy Veggie Fajitas Ingredients Needed
This dish is packed with deliciousness thanks to my homemade fajita seasoning blend, a mix of veggies and all of your favorite fajita toppings. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Peppers: Red, green, and yellow bell peppers are the ones I chose to use, but feel free to use any combination of peppers you want. You could also add some poblano peppers into the mix for a different flavor.
- Onion: Use sliced red onion or yellow onion for wonderful savory flavor.
- Seasoning: To give these vegetable fajitas tons of flavor, we’re sautéing the peppers and onions in a tasty blend of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- For Topping & Serving: Use your favorite extras for topping these fajitas – diced avocado or guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, jalapeños, lime juice, and/or fresh cilantro. You can serve them in tortillas or over rice and beans.
How to Make Easy Veggie Fajitas
Making veggie fajitas is quick and easy! You can have this mouth-watering dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes, including prep! Here’s how to make them:
Sauté Peppers & Onions: Bring a large skillet with olive oil to medium high heat. Once the oil is warm, add the sliced peppers and onions. They will begin to sizzle.
Quickly Add the Spices and use tongs to toss. Cook for about 7 minutes (stirring every 2 minutes) until the peppers and onions are browned.
Enjoy: Serve the peppers & onions immediately with tortillas or rice. Add black beans, avocado, and fresh salsa for a nutritious plant-based meal!
- Cutting the Veggies: Be sure to cut your vegetables into similar sized pieces so that they cook at the same rate.
- Cooking the Vegetables: We recommend cooking the vegetables in a very hot pan to get that classic char and smoky flavor.
- Make Ahead: If you really need to get a head start on dinner, you can cut the vegetables early in the day, and store them in the fridge until you're ready to cook.
- Make it Spicy: If you like spicy food, you can add some minced jalapeño or crushed red pepper flakes to the dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most popular vegetables to make fajitas with are bell peppers and onions. Feel free to also add in sliced mushrooms, zucchini and/or tomatoes.
Here are some of our favorite toppings for fajitas: sliced avocado, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños, fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice.
Yes, vegetable fajitas are a nutrient-rich meal option and can be very healthy, depending on toppings and how they are served. These are a great source of vitamins and minerals and they're also low in calories and fat.
Leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to about 4 to 5 days. You can reheat them on the stove or in the microwave.
More Vegan Dinner Recipes
Easy Veggie Fajitas
Easy Vegan Fajita Peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 sliced bell peppers assorted colors
- ½ cup sliced red or yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional Sides & Toppings
- black beans
- brown or white rice
- sliced avocado
- lime juice
- fresh salsa
Easy Veggie Fajitas Instructions
- Bring a large skillet with olive oil to medium high heat. Once the oil is warm, add the sliced peppers and onions. They will begin to sizzle. Quickly add the seasonings and use tongs to toss.
- Cook for about 7 minutes (stirring every 2 minutes) until the peppers and onions are browned.
- Serve the peppers immediately with tortillas or rice. Add black beans, avocado, and fresh salsa for a nutritious plant-based meal!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.