Sweet potato fries make the perfect healthy side to any plant-based dish! They're also a great snack! Especially when you serve them with homemade guacamole. Make this vegan and gluten-free Sweet Potato Fries Recipe in minutes. I guarantee these will end up being a regular in your home.
You won't believe how simple these crispy sweet potato fries are to make! You only need two basic ingredients + any spices and sauces of your choice!
Use the following ingredients to make the most mouthwatering gluten free sweet potato fries!
- Sweet Potatoes: Slice your sweet potatoes into fry shaped bites. I prefer to keep the skin on, but you can peel them if you prefer!
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is needed in order to really crisp up these sweet potato fries in the oven!
- Southwestern Spice Blend: Salt and Pepper, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano, Paprika, Cumin, and Chili Powder will season these sweet potato fries to perfection!
How To Make Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
Step 1: Preheat the oven. Line a baking sheet or sheet pan with parchment paper. You also have the option to air fry them. Steps to air fry are included in the recipe information at the bottom of the page.
Step 2: Leave the skin on and slice the sweet potatoes into thin ⅓ inch thick fry shapes. Place the fries in a bowl. Toss them with olive oil. Season with the southwestern spice blend.
Step 3: Bake the sweet potato fries in the oven until crispy and enjoy warm.
How To Serve Sweet Potato Fries
How to Store Leftover Sweet Potato Fries
Store the leftover crispy sweet potato fries in the fridge. To reheat, I recommend toasting them in the toaster oven or air fryer to get them crispy again.
Tips & Tricks
- Don't make the sweet potato fries too thick or they will not come out crispy.
- Spread the sweet potato fries out evenly on a baking sheet in a single layer so that they don't touch. This will help the sweet potato fries cook more evenly and get nice and crispy.
- Did you know that you can make sweet Sweet Potato Fries too? Give this Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potato Fry Recipe a try!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, just like regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are gluten-free.
I recommend slicing your fries as thin as you can get them and ensuring that they aren't touching each other on the baking sheet.
Nope! You definitely can. You can also leave the skin on. The skin of the sweet potato is where the bulk of its nutrients come from.
You have the option to soak the fries in ice cold water for 30 minutes before cooking. Pat them dry being tossing them in oil and seasoning. I have found that this recipe yields crispy sweet potato fries even without soaking the fries.
Absolutely! Air fryer instructions are below.
Absolutely! Use the same steps. Just keep an eye on your baking times as you may need more or less time depending on the type of potato and whether or not you leave the skin on or off.
More Side Dishes to Try
Easy Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 425. While preheating, slice your sweet potatoes into thin slices (about ¼-1/3 inch thick).
- Once the potatoes are sliced, toss them in olive oil and then lay them onto a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Season them with the seasonings and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Halfway through, use a spatula to flip them over and then bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy!
New Air Fryer Instructions
- Heat your air fryer to 375
- Slice your sweet potatoes into thin slices (about ¼-1/3 inch thick) and place them in a bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with southwest seasonings. Toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange the fries into an even layer in your air fryer (you may need to do two or three batches depending on the size of your fryer), and bake for about 7 minutes. Flip and then return to air fryer for another 5-7 minutes until crispy. Continue until all the fries are done.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.