This buttery Vegan Cornbread is seriously the best! It’s easy to make in one bowl and bakes up perfectly sweet with a tender crumb. Pair it with chili, soup or beans for the most cozy meal. Or enjoy it as a snack with a smear of butter and drizzle of maple syrup!
Why this recipe works
This one-bowl vegan cornbread is the ultimate cornbread recipe! It’s slightly sweet, perfectly tender and absolutely delicious. It’s also super easy to make and only uses a single bowl! How can you go wrong with that? We love to serve this dish alongside a hearty bowl of chili or as a side to a holiday meal. It also makes an incredible snack topped with butter and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey!
This homemade vegan cornbread can be made in one bowl and just poured into a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Hardly any mess to clean up!
This easy cornbread recipe uses just 9 super simple ingredients, most of which you probably have in your kitchen. Here's the lineup:
- Milk: For a rich, moist cornbread we recommend full fat coconut milk. No buttermilk necessary!
- Butter: To keep this recipe vegan, use a plant-based butter.
- Corn: Totally, optional - if you want a smoother texture, you can leave the corn out.
- Baking staples: You’ll need some baking powder & salt so that the cornbread bakes up nice and fluffy.
- Nutritional yeast: For a boost of flavor!
- Sugar: Just a bit of sugar adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Cornmeal: A must for that classic cornbread flavor.
- Flour: For the best texture, we recommend all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Topping: We love this served with butter and a drizzle of maple syrup! So good!
How to make this recipe
The best part about this vegan cornbread recipe? It’s SO easy to make. You’ll need one bowl, one pan and just 5 minutes to prep. Here's the simple method:
- Mix ingredients: Using one bowl, mix the coconut milk, melted vegan butter, baking powder, sugar, salt, and nutritional yeast together. Add the corn and mix. Then, add the cornmeal and regular or gluten free all purpose flour. Mix until a thick batter forms.
- Bake: Transfer the batter into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan and bake it in an oven that has been preheated to 375ºF for about 40 minutes.
- Serve: Enjoy with vegan butter and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Gluten-free cornbread: If you'd like to make this recipe gluten free, we recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour.
- Fresh cornmeal: Check your cornmeal for rancidity before baking. Rancid cornmeal will smell stale and musty; good cornmeal will have a sweeter smell.
- Don't over-bake: This vegan cornbread is very moist, but like most cornbread recipes, it can dry out easily if it’s baked too long. Keep a close eye on it, and check the doneness frequently once it gets close.
Here are some recipes we love to enjoy with this:
Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days, depending on the temperature and humidity. For longer storage, place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to about 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave or in a toaster oven.
Quick tip: Refrigerating this (or any baked good) tends to dry it out. If you do refrigerate it, we recommend reheating it in the microwave as it is best enjoyed warm.
More bread recipes to try
Buttery One-Bowl Vegan Cornbread Drizzled with Maple Syrup
One-Bowl Vegan Cornbread
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup canned corn, rinsed and drained optional
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup regular or gluten-free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
For Vegan Cornbread Topping
- softened vegan butter
- maple syrup or honey
One-Bowl Vegan Cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Using one bowl, mix the coconut milk, melted vegan butter, baking powder, sugar, salt, and nutritional yeast together. Add the corn and mix. Then, add the cornmeal and regular or gluten free all purpose flour. Mix until a thick batter forms.
- Transfer the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake it in the oven for about 40 minutes. Serve with vegan butter and drizzle with maple syrup.