Vegan Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls
These vegan gingerbread rolls are absolutely delicious! They're the perfect Christmas time twist on classic cinnamon rolls. I've topped them with delicious cream cheese icing and the results are mouth watering! Celebrate the holidays this year with these golden sweet and spiced rolls!
Classic Vegan Gingerbread Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 1 cup almond milk, warmed
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cup regular or 2 cups of gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 1 tablespoon non dairy yogurt
Quick No-Yeast Cinnamon Roll Dough - 30 Minute Version
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 1 tablespoon non dairy yogurt
Vegan Gingerbread Cinnamon Roll Filling
- ½ cup softened vegan butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
Vegan Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon softened vegan butter
Classic Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls - Preferred
- Prepare the dough by mixing the warm almond milk, melted vegan butter, and maple syrup. Sprinkle the active dry yeast evenly across the top of the mixture, stir gently, and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix until a dough forms. If using gluten free flour, add the non dairy yogurt into the dough and use your hands to work it into the dough. This step will make the gluten free dough more elastic and hold together better while rolling. If using regular flour, this step isn't necessary.
- Form the dough into a mound and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel. Allow it to sit for an hour. I like to sit my bowl on top of a preheated oven. The warmth from the oven helps the dough rise faster. Note, if using gluten free all purpose flour, the dough will rise less than dough containing gluten.
- After the dough has risen for an hour place it on a floured surface and roll the dough into a ¼ inch oval or rectangle (add more flour if the dough is too sticky to roll). Note, if using gluten-free flour, the dough will be slightly more dry. Spread the softened butter to cover the dough. Top with the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut it into about 10 pinwheels. Place the pinwheels into a baking dish so that they are close but not touching. Cover them with a towel or loose plastic wrap and set aside for another 30 minutes. Note, if your rolls are gluten free, they won't be as voluminous as rolls with gluten in them, but they'll be every bit as delicious!
- Once the rolls have risen, remove plastic wrap and bake the rolls in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, make the vegan cream cheese frosting by using an electric hand mixer to mix together the softened vegan butter, powdered sugar, and vegan cream cheese. Allow the rolls to cool and spread the icing over the rolls. Enjoy!
Quick No-Yeast Gingerbread Cinnamon Roll Instructions - 30 Minute Version
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Mix ¾ cup almond milk, ½ cup melted vegan butter, and 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder together. Then, add the 2 cups of regular or gluten free all purpose flour together and mix until a thick dough forms.
- If using gluten free flour, add the non dairy yogurt into the dough and use your hands to work it into the dough. This step will make the gluten free dough more elastic and hold together better while rolling. If using regular flour, this step isn't necessary.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and sprinkle the top with more flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a ¼ inch thick slab. Spread with softened vegan butter, sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Carefully roll the dough into a log. Slice the log into 10-12 pinwheels and place them into a greased round dish. Bake the cinnamon rolls for about 20 minutes. Option to broil for 1-2 minutes at the end to give them more color.
- While the rolls are baking, you may use an electric hand mixer to mix the vegan cream cheese, softened butter, and powdered sugar to make the icing. Allow the rolls to cool before frosting. Enjoy!
Serving: 1gCalories: 373kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 4gFat: 17g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi! Does this work well with the KA Measure for Measure, even though the packaging says it isn't recommended for yeast recipes? Any tips for ensuring that the dough works well with yeast? Thank you!
Jillian Glenn says
I use King Arthur Measure for Measure in mine and it turns out great. Just be sure to follow the special instructions for gluten free flour 🙂
I see the recipe for the gingerbread cinnamon rolls doesn’t include apple cider vinegar. But the instructions say to use it. How much should I use?
Hi Amy, I will fix this error! It is not needed in the recipe any longer 🙂