This Gingerbread Sheet Cake isn't just your regular holiday treat – it's vegan, can be made gluten-free, and it comes together in a snap (just 30 minutes, can you believe it?). With the natural sweetness of maple syrup and the wholesome touch of oats, maple syrup, and flax seed, you get a delicious treat that's a bit on the healthier side but doesn't skimp on flavor. Topped with a velvety homemade vegan cream cheese frosting, every bite is a celebration. Whether you're sipping cider in the fall or caroling during Christmas, this easy Gingerbread Sheet Cake will fit right in.
What You'll Need
- Large Mixing Bowl: For the main mixture.
- Medium Mixing Bowl: Great for prepping flax eggs.
- Essential Baking Tools: Fork, measuring spoons, and measuring cups.
- 9 to 11 inch Baking Dish: Ideal for this sheet cake.
- Parchment Paper: For non-stick magic.
- Whisk or Electric Hand Mixer: For the frosting.
Gingerbread Sheet Cake Ingredients
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter (or regular butter if preferred).
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup: Nature's sweetener.
- 2 tablespoon molasses or date syrup: For that deep, rich flavor.
- ½ cup unsweetened oat milk (or any plain plant-based milk or regular milk).
- Vegan magic: 4 tablespoon flax seed meal (or 1 regular egg if you're not going the vegan route).
- Flavor boosters: 1 teaspoon each of vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, and cinnamon, plus ¼ teaspoon ground cloves.
- 1 cup regular or gluten-free all-purpose flour (For gluten-free, we like King Arthur Measure for Measure).
- ½ cup rolled or quick oats: Adds a lovely texture.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (or regular if preferred).
- 4 tablespoon soft vegan butter (or regular butter).
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar: For that smooth icing finish.
How To Make This Gingerbread Sheet Cake
Preparation: Get that oven warming at 350°F. Then, line your baking dish with parchment. Easy cleanup? Yes, please!
Flax Eggs: If you’re opting vegan, mix your flax seed meal with hot water in a medium bowl. Set it aside to thicken.
Batter Time: In the large bowl, combine the butter, maple syrup, molasses (or date syrup), milk, and all those yummy flavor boosters. Toss in the flax mixture (or egg) and mix well. Gradually add flour and oats, stirring until it’s all smooth and lovely.
Bake It Up: Pour that tasty batter into your prepped dish. Pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes. You're waiting for the edges to turn a gorgeous golden brown hue.
Frost & Enjoy: While the cake’s doing its thing in the oven, whip up the frosting. Blend the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until creamy. Once the cake’s cooled, spread that goodness on top.
Note: This gingerbread sheet cake is super soft and tender. We made the mistake of cutting into it while still warm (we just couldn't resist!) and that's why you see the soft texture in the photo above. For best results, let it cool completely before slicing. Feel free to reheat in the microwave ... it is VERY good warm!
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend storing these at room temperature for up to 3 days or freezing for longer storage.
Yes! Feel free to replace the oats in this recipe with equal amounts of flour!
We sure do! And it's divine! Click here for the recipe.
Gingerbread Sheet Cake
- Large Mixing Bowl
- medium mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- measuring spoons and cups
- 9 to 11 inch baking dish
- parchment paper
- whisk or electric hand mixer
Gingerbread Sheet Cake
- ¼ cup melted butter or vegan butter
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon molasses or date syrup
- ½ cup regular milk or plain and unsweetened plant-based milk we used unsweetened oat milk
- 4 tablespoon flax seed meal or 1 regular egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup regular or gluten-free all purpose flour
- ½ cup quick oats or rolled oats
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz regular or vegan cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon softened regular or vegan butter
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
Gingerbread Sheet Cake
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If using, make the flax eggs by mixing 4 tablespoon of flax seed meal with ½ cup of hot water. Set aside until a thick gel is formed.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the melted butter, maple syrup, molasses or date syrup, milk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon together. Add the flax eggs or regular egg and mix. Then, add the flour and oats and mix until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cake is golden around the edges.
- While the gingerbread sheet cake is baking, use an electric hand mixer or whisk to mix the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar to make the cream cheese frosting.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting and serving.