Dive into the delightful flavors Classic Apple Pie and Nostalgic Sugar Cookies with these easy vegan cookies. Each bite envelops you in warm apple-cinnamon goodness, reminiscent of cozy autumn days. These cookies are vegan friendly and can also be easily modified for those on a gluten-free diet. Whether you're seeking a comforting snack or an innovative twist for your dessert platter, these Apple Cookies are the perfect blend of tradition and creativity. Experience the timeless flavor of apple pie in this delicious vegan cookie recipe.
Apple Cookie Ingredients
For The Apple Cookies:
- Butter Choice: Melted, pick from regular or vegan butter for dietary flexibility.
- Natural Sweetness: Organic cane sugar, ensuring a clean, natural taste.
- Egg Substitute Option: Use flax seed meal combined with 4 tablespoons hot water for a vegan bind. Alternatively, one regular egg works perfectly.
- Plant-Based Liquid: Unsweetened almond or oat milk, offering dairy-free moisture. If you're not vegan or dairy-free, regular 1%, 2%, or whole milk will work.
- Flavor Enhancer: Vanilla extract, for that classic cookie aroma.
- Rising Agent: Baking powder ensures cookies that are light and fluffy.
- Flavor Balance: Salt to accentuate the sweetness.
- Flour Foundation: Regular or gluten-free all-purpose flour. For stellar gluten-free results, King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour comes highly recommended. (Note: Steer clear of substitutes like almond flour or baking flour.)
For The Vanilla Icing:
- Sweet Base: Powdered sugar.
- Liquid Consistency: Unsweetened almond or oat milk for the right icing flow.
- Flavor Boost: Vanilla extract.
Apple Cookie Instructions
Prep Your Oven and Ingredients:
- Preheat your oven to a toasty 425°F (220°C), ideal for crispy cookie edges.
- In a designated small bowl, concoct your vegan flax eggs. Mix flax seed meal with warm water and let it sit. A gel-like consistency will form, mimicking traditional eggs.
Apple Prep – The Star Ingredient: 3. Kickstart your apple preparation by heating a nonstick-sprayed saucepan on medium. Add your peeled, sliced apples and sprinkle with heartwarming cinnamon. Sauté for 5 minutes, ensuring they're stirred regularly. Once tender, set aside.
Craft the Cookie Dough: 4. Using a medium-sized bowl, blend your melted vegan butter, sugar, pre-prepared flax eggs, almond milk, vanilla essence, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Achieve a consistent blend.
- Gradually fold in the flour until you reach the ideal cookie dough texture. For that apple pie twist, gently fold in the sautéed apples.
Shaping and Baking: 6. Ready a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape roughly a tablespoon of your apple-infused cookie dough into balls, placing them 1 ½ inches apart. This should yield approximately 20 delightful cookies.
- Bake these vegan wonders for 10-12 minutes. You're looking for a golden hue, especially at the edges.
The Icing on the Cookie: 8. As the cookies are baking, whip up your icing. Use a whisk or electric mixer to combine the almond milk with the confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Once your cookies have cooled, artistically drizzle the vanilla icing over them, readying them for their grand presentation.
- ⅓ cup peeled and sliced honey crisp apples
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup melted regular or vegan butter
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoon flax seed meal + 4 tablespoon hot water or one regular egg
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Vegan Apple Cookies
- Preheat oven to 425. In a small bowl, prepare the flax eggs by mixing the flax seed meal and warm water. Set aside. A gel will form.
- Prepare the apples by bringing a small saucepan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Once warm, add the peeled and sliced apples and season with cinnamon. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the melted vegan butter, sugar, flax eggs, almond milk, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour and mix until a cookie dough forms. Fold in the apples.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use your hands to roll about a tablespoon each of cookie dough into balls. Place onto the cookie sheet about 1 ½ inch apart. You should have about 20 cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are golden on the edges. While the cookies are baking, make the icing by using a whisk or electric mixer to mix 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of almond milk with the confectioners’ sugar. Allow the cookies to cool, drizzle the icing over them and serve