This satisfying and simple Easy Vegan Meat Sauce is quickly going to become your new favorite plant-based dinner. The texture will remind you of a hearty and flavorful bolognese but without any unhealthy ingredients or animal products! Make this healthy and delicious vegan "meat sauce" to pair with spaghetti noodles or any other pasta!
Is your family craving bolognese? Try this easy lentil walnut sauce instead! It's thick and meaty, super flavorful, and 100% vegan. No one will miss the meat thanks to the rich texture provided by the lentils and chopped nuts. Everyone is going to love it and the best part is that this recipe is as simple as it is delicious!
What you need
- Olive Oil: To make this delicious vegan lentil meat sauce, start by sautéing some onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil.
- Onion: We recommend using yellow or white onion in this vegan lentil walnut sauce.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic cloves or pre-minced garlic will work in this recipe.
- Lentils: This vegan meat sauce recipe is so easy because we use canned lentils giving it a hearty and filling texture.
- Walnuts: Chop your walnuts or pecans to give this vegan meat sauce a lovely texture and flavor.
- Tomato Sauce: No proper spaghetti or bolognese sauce is complete without tomato sauce. Use 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce in this recipe.
- Spices: To keep this recipe super easy and add tons of flavor, we recommend using Italian seasonings like dried parsley, basil, oregano, and a bit of salt and pepper.
Step 1: Bring a medium skillet with olive oil to medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until they are fragrant. Then, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
Step 2: Add the crushed nuts and canned lentils. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook stirring for 7 minutes.
Step 3: Add the tomato sauce and spices, stir, and cook until the tomato sauce bubbles. Then, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook covered for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from heat, serve over spaghetti noodles.
Frequently Asked Questions
I recommend serving this vegan lentil walnut meat sauce with spaghetti noodles. Feel free to top with fresh parsley and vegan parmesan cheese. This also tastes wonderful with vegan friendly homemade breadsticks or gluten-free friendly focaccia bread.
Yes! This vegan meat sauce is packed with healthy fats from the extra virgin olive oil and nuts, complex carbs from the lentils, and wholesome spices and aromatics, making this a balanced meal that is good for your health!
This vegan lentil sauce will last in the fridge for 3-5 days and in the freezer for 60 days.
Easy Vegan Meat Sauce
- medium skillet with lid
Easy Lentil Walnut Sauce
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves freshly minced garlic or 1 tablespoon pre-minced garlic
- 1 cup crushed walnuts or pecans
- 1 13 oz can of brown lentils
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Easy Lentil Walnut Sauce
- Bring a skillet with olive oil to medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the onions are fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the crushed walnuts and lentils and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring, for 7 minutes, or until the nuts are tender on the outside.
- Add the tomato sauce, dried parsley, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir until the sauce begins to bubble and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook, covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, stir, and then cover until ready to serve with spaghetti noodles or any other pasta.
Leave a Reply