Delight in the luxurious texture and taste of these Thick & Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes. Crafted with the richness of vegan butter and the tang of sour cream, this dish promises a flavorful burst in every bite. Complemented by the subtle hint of chives and the classic combo of salt and pepper, this vegan side dish is not just an ideal companion for your main course but a standalone star. Perfect for every season and occasion, especially your Vegan Thanksgiving spread.
Vegan Mashed Potato Ingredients
- Russet Potatoes: Chosen for their fluffy texture post-mashing.
- Vegan Butter: Imparts a rich, buttery depth without the dairy.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: For the right touch of creamy consistency.
- Vegan Sour Cream: Adds a hint of tanginess that elevates the flavor.
- Fresh Chives: For a delicate, oniony freshness.
- Seasonings: A combination of salt and pepper for a balanced taste.
Note: If you're not strictly following a vegan diet or prefer traditional ingredients, feel free to substitute the almond milk, vegan sour cream, and vegan butter with their regular dairy counterparts. The recipe is versatile and will still yield deliciously creamy mashed potatoes with either variation. Adjust according to your preference and dietary needs. Enjoy!
How to Make The Best Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Commence Boiling: In a sizable pot, immerse 4 medium russet potatoes, retaining their skin, in water. Initiate the boiling process.
- Manage Heat: Once boiling vigorously, lower the heat to maintain a gentle boil, letting the potatoes become tender, roughly around 20 minutes.
- Blend to Creaminess: Post-boiling, discard the water. Introduce the vegan butter, almond milk, and sour cream to the pot. Utilize an immersion blender, mixing until you achieve your desired creamy consistency.
- Serve with Flair: Dish out the mashed potatoes, garnishing with freshly chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper. For those who adore richness, feel free to add an additional pat of vegan butter atop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Certainly! Mashed potatoes are one of those dishes that can be made ahead of time and reheated, making them convenient for meal planning, especially during busy holidays or gatherings.
How to make the Thick & Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes ahead of time:
Prepare as Instructed: Make the mashed potatoes according to the recipe.
Cool Completely: Before storing, allow the mashed potatoes to cool to room temperature.
Storage: Transfer the mashed potatoes to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. They should keep well for 1-2 days.
Reheating: When you're ready to serve, transfer the mashed potatoes to a suitable pot or microwave-safe dish. If using a stovetop, reheat on low, stirring occasionally and adding a splash of almond milk if needed to restore creaminess. If using a microwave, heat in intervals, stirring in between to ensure even reheating. Again, add a bit of almond milk or vegan butter if needed to bring back the original creamy texture.
Garnish: Freshen up the reheated mashed potatoes by adding a bit more freshly chopped chives and a pat of vegan butter before serving.
Tip: When reheating, you might find the mashed potatoes have thickened slightly in the fridge. Adjusting with a splash of almond milk or a dab of vegan butter can help bring them back to the desired creamy consistency.
Absolutely! Click here for a full list of some of our top Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving Recipes!
Warm Liquid: Heat a small amount of almond milk (or your choice of milk) either on the stove or in the microwave. Warm liquid will mix better with the mashed potatoes and won't cool them down too much.
Add Gradually: Begin by adding a small amount of the warmed milk to the mashed potatoes, stirring or mashing to combine.
Consistency Check: Check the consistency after each addition. Remember, you can always add more liquid, but it's harder to reverse overly-thin mashed potatoes.
Alternative Liquids: Apart from almond milk, you can also use other liquids like vegetable broth, regular milk (if you're not sticking to vegan), or even a bit of water to thin out the mash.
Taste: After adjusting the consistency, give the mashed potatoes a taste. You might need to adjust the seasonings (salt, pepper, etc.) slightly, especially if you've added a significant amount of extra liquid.
Stir Well: Make sure to mix thoroughly so that the added liquid is well distributed and the mashed potatoes are smooth.
Serve: Once you've achieved your desired consistency, serve the mashed potatoes as usual.
Remember, the key is to add the liquid gradually and mix well after each addition to achieve the perfect consistency for your liking.
Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Thick & Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoon vegan sour cream
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives
- salt and pepper
Thick and Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- In a pot, cover 4 medium potatoes (skin on) with water. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove from heat. Drain water, and then add the butter, almond milk, and sour cream. Use a handheld immersion blender to blend the contents together until desired creaminess.
- Serve topped with chives, salt, and pepper to taste. Option to add another pat of butter to your serving!