Easy Vegan Shakshuka with Homemade Focaccia
Traditional shakshuka sauce is served warm with egg and herbs on top. I decided to veganize this dish by serving it with hummus and some delicious vegan focaccia bread. The results are more mouth watering than you can imagine! There are two ways to prepare my vegan shakshuka. One is using my homemade recipe below, made with tomato sauce, veggies, spices, and some of my favorite mina extra virgin olive oil.
Homemade Vegan Shakshuka
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, I used mina
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of mina Shakshuka Sauce
- 2 cup fresh spinach
Homemade Focaccia Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, I used mina
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ¼ cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by preparing the focaccia bread. Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, use a fork to mix the water, ¼ cup olive oil, and baking powder together. Add the flour and mix just until a thick dough forms. Be careful not to overwork the dough or it will become flat and dense. Transfer the dough into a greased 10-12 inch round baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil and use your fingertips to gently press down into the dough to create dimples.
- Bake for 15 minutes and broil for 1-2 minutes at the end until the bread is golden. Once the bread is done baking, you may drizzle it with the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil, top with sea salt and chives. Slice in 12 slices and serve warm, dipped in the shakshuka.
Vegan Shakshuka & Serving
- While waiting on the bread to bake, if using mina's delicious Shakshuka sauce, simply bring a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil to medium heat. Once hot, pour in the shakshuka sauce and cook for about 15-20 minutes until warm and bubbling. Stir in fresh spinach until wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- If making the shakshuka sauce homemade, bring a medium skillet with olive oil to medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Add the peppers and tomatoes and cook for about 7 minutes or until they are soft. Add the tomato sauce and season with cumin, oregano, and paprika. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 20 minutes.
- To make the hummus, add the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, water, and cumin to a food processor. Blend until creamy, adding more water if needed. You can add a clove of garlic to make the hummus garlic flavor or leave it plain. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the hummus over the shakshuka sauce and use the focaccia bread for dipping.
Calories: 304kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 5gFat: 20g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!