Dive into a nostalgic culinary journey with this Vegan Green Bean Casserole. Perfectly tender green beans enveloped in a rich, homemade vegan cream of mushroom soup, topped with crispy fried onions – it's a symphony of textures and flavors. Ideal for festive feasts, this vegan rendition of the classic Thanksgiving side dish offers all the comfort of the original with a healthful twist. Embrace the magic of easy-to-make, dairy-free creaminess that is bound to be a showstopper at any meal.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- Cooking Base: Vegan butter or olive oil for a luscious start. Regular butter will work if you're not vegan or dairy-free.
- Aromatic Blend: Diced yellow onion and minced garlic for a flavor foundation.
- Mushrooms: The star, imparting rich depth and texture.
- Liquids: Low sodium vegetable broth and plain unsweetened almond or oat milk to create the perfect consistency. Regular milk will work if not vegan or dairy-free.
- Seasoning: Just a touch of pepper for a balanced profile.
- Binding Agent: Regular or gluten-free all-purpose flour for the right thickness. (For those gluten-conscious, King Arthur Measure for Measure is our top pick!)
- Green Beans: Fresh cut or steamed for a vibrant bite.
- Topping: Fried onions, be they regular or gluten-free, for that delectable crunch.
How to Make Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Oven Settings: Initiate your culinary adventure by setting the oven to a toasty 350°F.
- Saute the Aromatics: Utilizing a medium saucepan, warm your vegan butter or oil. Upon achieving the right temperature, welcome the onion and garlic. A 2-minute sauté should result in a golden and aromatic concoction.
- Mushroom Magic: Bring in the mushrooms, letting them dance in the pan for 5-7 minutes until they acquire a light brown tint.
- Liquid Fusion: Engulf the mushrooms with the vegetable broth, your choice of milk, and pepper. Let them reach a boiling crescendo before calming the heat.
- Thickening Stage: Introduce the flour, blending swiftly with an immersion blender, aiming for a creamy texture.
- Assemble: Gently lay out the green beans in a 9x11 casserole dish. Pour the dreamy mushroom soup atop, concluding with a sprinkle of fried onions. Cover this masterpiece with foil.
- Bake to Perfection: Let the oven work its magic for 20 minutes. Unveil by removing the foil, and grant it another 15 minutes of baking. Before indulging, allow it to rest for a brief 5-10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Certainly! The Cream of Mushroom Vegan Green Bean Casserole is a great dish to prepare ahead, especially when planning for busy gatherings or festive occasions.
Here's how to make it ahead of time:
Prepare the Casserole: Follow the recipe instructions up until the point where you would bake the casserole.
Cool & Cover: Once you've assembled the casserole in the dish (but before baking), allow it to cool down to room temperature. Then, cover the casserole dish tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Refrigerate: Store the casserole in the refrigerator for up to 24-48 hours ahead of when you plan to serve it.
Baking: When you're ready to serve, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes. This step helps the casserole cook more evenly. Bake the casserole covered with foil for the first 20 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for the remaining time as per the original recipe or until it's heated through and the top is golden and crispy.
Serving: Once baked, let it sit for 5-10 minutes as recommended and then serve warm.
Tip: If you’re using fried onions as a topping, you might want to add them fresh at the time of baking to ensure they remain crispy. If added ahead of time, they could potentially become a bit soggy after refrigeration.
Making dishes ahead of time can alleviate the stress of meal preparations, enabling you to enjoy your event or gathering with minimal last-minute cooking!
Absolutely! Click here for our famous Vegan Cornbread Stuffing Recipe!
Cream of Mushroom Vegan Green Bean Casserole
Vegan Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond or oat milk
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 16 oz fresh cut or steamed green beans about 3 cups
- ½ cup fried onions use regular or gluten free fried onions
Vegan Green Bean Casserole Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 350
- Bring a medium saucepan with vegan butter to medium heat. Once warm, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until the mixture is golden and fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Once the mushrooms are brown, pour in the vegetable broth, almond milk, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle in ¼ cup flour and immediately use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients together until creamy.
- Pour the green beans into a 9x11 casserole dish and then pour the cream of mushroom soup over the green beans. Sprinkle the fried onions over the top and cover the dish with foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and return the casserole to the oven for another 15 minutes. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.