These 8-ingredient moist Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes are easy, fun, and delicious! Everyone will love them and no one will guess they're vegan! Enjoy these colorful cupcakes for birthdays, holidays or for a fun sweet treat!
This funfetti cupcake recipe is absolutely dreamy. Not only are they packed with sprinkles, but they consist of tender, sweet cake, all topped off with a seriously delicious vegan buttercream frosting!
No one will even suspect that these cupcakes are vegan. They are moist, tender, and oh so yummy! These are perfect to box up as a gift and share with friends or neighbors!
My vegan funfetti cupcakes use pantry staples that you probably already have on hand! Here's what you'll need:
- Plant-based Milk: I like to use unsweetened oat or almond milk here. If you aren't worried about making dairy-free cupcakes, you can use regular milk instead.
- Vegan Butter: A bit of melted vegan butter adds flavor and keeps these cupcakes super tender!
- Sugar: Any kind of granulated sugar works well!
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Both baking powder and baking soda are used to help these sweet treats rise in the oven!
- Vanilla: Vanilla is added for that classic vanilla cake flavor.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour here, but for gluten-free cupcakes, feel free to use a gluten-free flour like King Arther Measure for Measure.
- Vegan Sprinkles: For funfetti cupcakes, you have to have the rainbow sprinkles! Make sure your sprinkles are vegan if you need vegan cupcakes.
- Optional Vegan Buttercream Icing: For a creamy, vegan topping, you will need powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla and almond milk! This is totally optional as these cupcakes are still super delicious without it.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond or oat milk, butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla. Then, mix in the flour until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
Step 3: Finally, mix in the sprinkles and pour the cupcakes into 14-16 cupcake molds. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cupcakes have risen and are lightly golden on the top.
Step 4: If you want frosting on top, mix together the icing ingredients and frost them!
- Some brands of sprinkles aren't vegan friendly! Make sure to check out the ingredients before adding them to your funfetti cupcakes!
- Don't over mix the batter! Once you add the flour, be careful to mix only until combined. This will ensure tender, fluffy cupcakes!
- Make sure to line the cupcake mold with liners! This will ensure that the cupcakes don't stick to the pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Definitely! You have the option to make gluten-free funfetti cupcakes by using a measure for measure gluten free flour like King Arthur or Cup4Cup! Keep in mind that you can't use any gluten free flour, it has to be a measure for measure for the best results!
To ensure that the cupcakes are done baking, you can stick a toothpick into one of them and make sure it comes out clean. It can have a few moist crumbs on it, but make sure the toothpick doesn't look wet. It it has wet batter on it, let them keep cooking and check in 5 minutes!
If you have any leftover cupcakes, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them in the fridge if your house is particularly warm, but the cupcakes will dry out a little bit!
More Cupcake Recipes to Try
- Oatmeal Coconut Cupcakes
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
8-Ingredient Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1 cup unsweetened oat or almond milk
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- ¼ cup vegan sprinkles
Optional Vegan Butter Cream Icing
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon softened vegan butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond or oat milk, butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla. Then, mix in the flour just until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Finally, mix in the sprinkles and pour the cupcakes into 14-16 cupcake molds. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cupcakes have risen and are lightly golden on top.
- I love these cupcakes alone without frosting but if you're in the mood for some additional sweetness, mix together the icing ingredients & frost them!
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.
Looking forward to making these for my husband for his birthday! He has a gluten allergy so will use GF flour. Do you have a specific kind you recommend? Do you use the kind that has xantham gum in it? Or does it needed to be added at all if the kind you use doesn't have it? Also - for the Almond Milk, do you use unsweetenend or sweetened? Thank you!
Hi Jill, I'm glad you plan to try this recipe for your husband's birthday! I'm sure he will love them. Any ALL PURPOSE gluten free flour will work! If you head over to the Shop section on my site, you will see all the brands I use. No need for xantham gum. I use unsweetened almond milk. Any non dairy milk will do!
Katie R says
Hi Jill - could I make this into a cake or loaf instead of cupcakes?
I have a loaf recipe coming soon! There are a few tweaks!
We have a nut allergy. Can I use rice or oat milk?
Jillian Glenn says
Oat milk would be great in these!
Hi, I'm so excited to find this recipe. I will try it for my daughter's birthday she is allergic to eggs and milk. I can believe I don't need eggs for this recipe. I always find dairy free cake recipes but they call for eggs.
Hi Vanessa, I can't wait to hear how you and your daughter enjoy this recipe!