Crisp and golden on the outside, and filled with nostalgic peanut butter and jelly goodness on the inside. These Mini PB&J Bites are absolutely mouthwatering and the perfect comfort food treat! They taste like a cross between a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and french toast, all in one delicious bite ... ok maybe more than just one bite! Give this recipe a try and become the hero in your home! Everyone will love them and no one will believe they're vegan and gluten-free friendly.
What are PB&J Bites?
Peanut butter and jelly is a classic combo that children and adults alike. This recipe for PB&J bites takes that classic childhood treat to the next level. It starts with a simple pb&j, then we slice it into bite-sized pieces (making it perfect for little ones with little hands ... or adults looking for portion control) and fry it in a little butter and maple syrup. If it sounds amazing, just wait until you taste it!
What You'll Need to Make PB&J Bites
- Bread: Use any vegan, regular, or gluten-free bread in this recipe. I used canyon bakehouse.
- Peanut Butter: Use any creamy or crunchy peanut butter!
- Jelly: Use your favorite flavor jelly and make sure to check to ensure it's vegan if necessary.
- Butter: To keep this recipe safe for dairy-free eaters, we use vegan butter. If this is not a concern, you can use regular butter.
- Maple Syrup: Adding a bit of pure maple syrup to this recipe helps give our pb&j a golden and crisp crunch when frying.
Optional PB&J Bite Toppings
- Fresh Fruit (banana slices, berries, or apple slices!)
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Peanut Butter and Jelly Bites
Step 1: Make two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread, then spread jelly on the another. Put those two slices (jelly and peanut butter facing the inside) together. Repeat with the other two slices of bread.
Step 2: Slice the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches into thirds and then slice each third into 3 bite-sized squares.
Step 3: Bring a skillet with vegan butter to medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the maple syrup. The butter and maple syrup will begin to sizzle. Add the bite-sized squares of pb&j into the skillet and cook until golden on each side.
Step 4: Serve warm, drizzled with maple syrup, topped with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or cinnamon. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Click here for my full-sized PB&J ... it's amazing!
Oh yes! Click here to try my famous Mini Banana Pancake Bites!
Mini PB&J Bites
- medium non-stick skillet
- butter knife
- a standard table spoon
Mini PB&J Sandwich Bites
- 4 slices of regular, vegan, or gluten-free sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoon jelly of choice
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter, for frying
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup plus more for topping
How to Make Mini PB&J Bites
- Begin by creating two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches using 2 tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 tablespoon of jelly per sandwich. Slice the sandwiches (lengthwise) into 3 strips, then cut each strip into three squares.
- Bring a medium non-stick skillet to medium heat, add the vegan butter and let it melt. Add the maple syrup and once it begins to sizzle, add the bite sized pieces of pb&j (leave about ½ of an inch between each bite). You may need to do this in two batches if you run out of room in your skillet. Fry for 2-4 minutes or until the pb&j bites are golden, and crisp. Use tongs to flip them over and fry until golden on the other side.
- Serve the pb&j bites as they are (YUM) or option to drizzle with more maple syrup or dust with powdered sugar.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.