These baked vegan Pumpkin Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect holiday treat! They're cakey, moist, and topped with vegan cream cheese icing! Everyone is going to love these and no one will believe you when you tell them they are vegan, gluten-free (optional), and baked, not fried!
Pumpkin donuts with cream cheese frosting are the absolute best fall treat! But let's be honest, I literally crave these donuts all year round. With a creamy frosting that is absolutely to die for, you won't be able to get enough of these donuts! Plus, you can make them vegan and gluten-free if you need to!
- Plant-based Milk: I like to use unsweetened almond or oat milk here. If you are not concerned with making vegan donuts, you can use dairy based milk instead.
- Pumpkin Puree: Make sure to get 100% pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe!
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup adds a natural sweetness and flavor that pairs perfectly with pumpkin.
- Coconut Sugar: You can use coconut sugar or regular, granulated sugar here.
- Vegan Butter: Melted vegan butter adds flavor and moistness to the pumpkin donuts! You can use dairy-based butter if preferred.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is added for flavor.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Baking powder and soda help the donuts to rise beautifully in the oven.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg: For a bit more flavor and classic pumpkin spice flavor, add some cinnamon and nutmeg!
- Flour: All purpose flour works great, however, if you need gluten-free pumpkin donuts then I recommend using King Arther Measure for Measure gluten-free flour.
- Cream Cheese Icing: You will need just vegan butter, vegan cream cheese and powdered sugar to whip up a delicious vegan cream cheese icing.
click image below for my silicone donut molds
How to Make This Recipe
My vegan pumpkin donuts with cream cheese frosting can be made in just a few simple steps! Here is how you make it:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, mix the oat or almond milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until well combined. Then, add the flour and mix until a batter forms. Pour the batter into 18 silicon donut molds.
Step 3: Bake for 25-30 minutes until the donuts are risen, completely cooked through and lift easily out of the pan.
Step 4: While the donuts are baking, mix the vegan cream cheese icing ingredients. Add more powdered sugar to make the icing thicker. Wait for the donuts to cool before icing OR ice them while they're warm to create a glaze.
- Don't over mix the batter! Be careful once you add the flour to the mix to only stir until combined. If you over mix, you could get a tough and dense donut!
- Don't have silicone donut molds? I absolutely love my silicone donut molds, but if you aren't interested in purchasing one, then you can make these into muffins instead!
- Try to avoid over baking the donuts. If you are unsure if they are done, stick a toothpick into one of them to see if the toothpick comes out clean!
Frequently Asked Questions
Store any leftover pumpkin donuts with cream cheese frosting in an airtight container for 2-3 days. You can pop them in the microwave to eat them warm or eat them at room temp!
Definitely! After baking, allow them to cool completely. Then wrap individually in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container like a freezer safe bag. You can freeze them for up to 3 months. When ready, let them thaw on the counter and then frost them if desired!
More Donut Recipes to Try
Pumpkin Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut sugar or regular cane sugar
- ⅓ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoon softened vegan butter
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
Pumpkin Donuts Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the oat or almond milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Then, add the flour and mix until a batter forms. Pour the batter into 18 silicon donut molds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the donuts are risen, completely cooked through, and lift easily out of the pan.
- While the donuts are baking, mix the vegan cream cheese icing ingredients. Add more powdered sugar to make the icing thicker. Wait for the donuts to cool before icing OR ice them while they're warm to create a "glaze effect"
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.