This Healthy Banana Bread is a filling breakfast treat that will taste just as good as it is good for you!
Baking with bananas is honestly my favorite. Bananas lend a helping hand when it comes to baking a super moist and tender bread. My vegan gluten free banana bread is a foolproof bread that you can whip up in 10 minutes and let the oven do the hard work!
Healthy Banana Bread Ingredients Needed
My vegan banana bread recipe uses whole, healthy ingredients for a surprisingly delicious vegan treat! Here's what you'll need:
- Bananas: You will want 3 overripe bananas for this recipe, plus an additional banana to place on top of the loaf if desired.
- Vanilla: For lots of flavor, vanilla is added!
- Milk: Use a plant based milk like oat or almond milk to keep this banana bread recipe vegan. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular milk will also work.
- Flax Seed Meal: Flax seed meal mixed with hot water will make vegan eggs that help the banana bread rice and get the proper texture.
- Butter: You can use your favorite plant-based butter here. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular butter will also work.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is a great natural sweetener that adds a lot of flavor to this recipe. You can replace it with honey or agave, but keep in mind that maple has extra flavor!
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is used to give the bread some rise in the oven. No eggs needed!
- Cinnamon: I like to add cinnamon for extra flavor.
- Almond Flour, Oat Flour & Quick Oats: A mixture of almond flour, oat flour and quick oats make this healthy banana bread gluten free! The quick oats in this banana bread recipe make the texture soft and fluffy. If you don't have quick oats, you can pulse old fashioned oats in a food processor to break them down.
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
All you need is 10 minutes to prep this easy banana bread recipe, then just let the oven do the work! Here are the simple steps:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 metal loaf pan and set aside. Mix the flax seed meal with 4 tablespoons of hot water until a paste forms. Set aside.
Step 2: First, mix together the ripe bananas, vanilla, flax egg, butter, maple syrup, almond or oat milk, baking powder and cinnamon.
Step 3: Next, add in the almond flour, oat flour and quick oats and mix until combined.
Step 4: Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Cut a banana lengthwise and place on top of the batter if desired. Bake for about 60 minutes.
- Don't over mix your batter. The key to getting a tender and soft bread is to not over mix! Mix just until everything is combined.
- Mash the bananas: Make sure to mash the bananas well with a fork or potato masher before mixing them into the batter.
- Use real eggs if you prefer. The general ratio is 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal to every egg. If you want to use real eggs in this recipe, just two whole eggs.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your bananas aren't quite ripe enough but you still want to make vegan banana bread, then pop them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. They should be soft and mushy. If it needs more time, try an extra 5 seconds. Be careful peeling the bananas as they will be warm and quite mushy.
The best way to know if your banana bread is done is by sticking a toothpick into the middle of the loaf to make sure there isn't raw batter sticking to the toothpick. If the toothpick is wet with some raw batter, keep cooking. If the toothpick just has some moist crumbs on it, then your bread is good to go!
More Healthy Vegan Bread Recipes
- Vegan Apple Bread
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
- Cinnamon Sugar Focaccia Bread
- Vegan Blueberry Muffin Bread
Healthy Banana Bread
Healthy Banana Bread
- 3 mashed overripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened oat or almond milk
- 2 tablespoon flax seed meal mixed with 4 tablespoon hot water
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
Healthy Banana Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Mix together the bananas, vanilla, flax egg, butter, maple syrup, almond or oat milk, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Then, mix in the almond flour, oat flour, and quick oats until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9x5 greased metal loaf pan and bake for about 60 minutes.
The recipes on Peanut Butter and Jilly can easily be adapted to fit a vegan lifestyle, a gluten-free lifestyle, or both depending on the ingredients you use. Please review the ingredients lists carefully and refer to our recommendations in the Notes of the recipe card to make this recipe compatible with your needs. Nutrition information provided is an estimate, and will vary based on specific brands of ingredients used and cooking methods.