Homemade Apple Cinnamon Pop-tarts
Make this childhood treat in the comfort of your own kitchen. These homemade apple cinnamon pop-tarts are made without dairy or eggs, can be made gluten free, and even sugar free! Everyone will love them and they're as fun to make as they are to eat!
Apple Cinnamon Pop-Tarts
- 1 cup almond or oat milk
- 2 tablespoon regular brown sugar or purecane brown sugar substitute
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ½ cup regular or gluten free all purpose flour If gluten-free, I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten-free flour. Please don't substitute any other flour such as almond flour, baking flour, etc.
- 2 tablespoon non dairy yogurt
Apple Cinnamon Filling
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoon purecane brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup regular powdered sugar or purecane powdered sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond or oat milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- option to add sprinkles
Apple Cinnamon Pop-tarts
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Prepare the apple cinnamon filling by mixing the applesauce, cinnamon, and purecane brown sugar together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond or oat milk, purecane brown sugar, melted vegan butter, vanilla, and baking powder together. Add the regular or gluten free flour and mix until a dough forms. If you are using gluten free flour, add 2 tablespoon of non dairy milk to the dough and use your hands to work it in.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a rectangle. Use a knife to slice the dough into 24 squares or rectangles and set them aside.
- Melt 1-2 tablespoons of vegan butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place two of the rectangles onto the floured surface and lightly roll them until they are about ¼ inch thick. Place one of the rectangles onto the lined baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon of the apple cinnamon filling in the center of the dough. Place the other rectangle of dough on top and use a fork to press down around the edges and seal the pop-tarts.
- Repeat this step until the baking sheet is full. Pierce each of the pop-tarts once or twice with the fork to create air holes. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of each of the pop tarts with melted vegan butter.
- Once the baking sheet is full, bake the pop tarts in the oven for 15 minutes. Option to broil for 1-2 minutes at the end to give them more color. Continue to bake the remaining pop tarts until you've used all the dough.
- While the pop tarts are baking, make the cinnamon icing by mixing the purecane powdered sugar, vanilla, almond or oat milk, and cinnamon together. If the icing is too thick to spread, add a tiny bit more milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Once the pop-tarts are done baking, allow them to cool until warm. Ice them and option to top with sprinkles. Enjoy warm 🙂
Serving: 1gCalories: 136kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 3gFat: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!